Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Teachers!Can you tell when a

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies
Child has had their project done by a parent? And have you ever called a parent out on doing their kid's project?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 13, 2013 at 11:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:06 AM
Bump
JenGo
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm not a teacher, but here is a bump, because I want to see some of the replies.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Not a teacher, but would love to see the answers. This always pisses me off. I hate projects. My dh loves when he kids get them. Obviously when they are younger, we help out more, but it is all their ideas. My 5th grader just finished a project last week and seeing the others in the hall was so annoying! They had to create a scene from a tribe they chose. Made out of all natural things (stones, sticks, dirt, mud, pine needles...you get the idea) The only thing store bought could be clay to make the people and animals. We followed directions, but clearly most everyone else did not! You could tell parents did most of them and tons of store bought stuff. Pisses me off. Wondering what those grades will be not following directions. By the look on my sons face, you could tell he was thinking the others were better. But they weren't. He did an awesome job, dh helped with little bits...threw in some ideas. But his was awesome and we followed the directions! 

AnHpuresugar
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:03 AM
My sister did her son's "all about me" poster in kindergarten. It was so obvious. The teacher wrote "(my nephew's name)'s mom gets an A+". I don't know if anything else was said. She is a control freak. My other sister said she would have handed it back and asked the child to do another one. She is a teacher. My husband, a fifth grade teacher, throws them away or gives them a zero if it is blatantly obvious. Both of them said you can tell pretty easily because they know what the child is capable of from having them in class every day.
Andreaaa81
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I know when a parent has done the work. It does effect the student's grade and I do speak to the parents about it. Now the outcome of the project is just as important as the process. We want to see how the child thinks and executes an assignment. Demonstrates critical thinking and all that....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Not a teacher but.  when my son was in 3rd grade we moved to a new school.  he had been in the school about 2 days before mid winter recess.  the teacher gave a project to do over the break.  It was a missing persons poster and they had to pick someone famous and and make the poster without naming names and see if kids could guess who it was.  On the paper the teacher gave out there were lots of instructions and it seemed to stress the picture being "good".  my son panicked and went to dh to help out. He pretty much drew it himself my son just colored it in.  He had the wright brothers and my dh is a really good artist.    Well when he back to school the teacher asked him who did it mommy or daddy.  He said daddy.  The teacher told him daddy gets an A+ but she wants to see his work.  And sent him  home that afternoon to re do it.  He re did it himself and she told him it was really good and she hung it up.

My dd who was also in the 3rd grade just with a different teacher. she showed up in school with daddys artwork. .  The teacher told her "mom is a good artist" and my dd corrected her and said nope daddy is.  She hung up the poster and never required her to do her own.

Ashcf06
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 2:37 AM
My husband is a history teacher and does the history fair every year where kids pick something historical from our state and do a project on it. I love to see the projects so I go see all of them set up. He points out all of the ones that were done primarily by parents. He said a lot of times the kids take any guess work out of it when the kids don't know anything about their own project. He says it isn't worth it to call them out because you can't actually prove it. BUT if there are two that are close in points to move on to the next round and one has been done by parents and the other hasn't, he sends on the one that the kid obviously did him/herself.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 15, 2013 at 2:40 AM
In eighth grade we had a toothpick bridge project. My dad took it upon himself to do it and literally wouldn't let me work on my own project. I'm curious to read the other answers
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 15, 2013 at 2:40 AM
My daughters school eliminated this problem by not assigning homework and not allowing any assessment to be done outside of school without submitting multiple drafts to prove your work. Worked perfectly.
asmalltowngirl
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 2:44 AM
My dd's teacher assigns family projects.

I like it, because I enjoy being crafty with her :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)