Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

F U SO's work!

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:33 AM
  • 67 Replies
He has been working for an entire month without a break. Meaning 12-15 hour days 7 days a week because they are getting ready to sail out. He didn't want to be on the sail out and tried to get out of it but they promised him he could leave on the 20th, his schedule says he's supposed to be off starting on the 19th. Well today one day before he goes on board they tell him not only does he have to stay till the 25th but that when the helicopter gets him they will fly him to a Podunk town in Louisiana and he has to catch a friggen bus to New Orleans and fly home.

He's of course beyond pissed because he was supposed to have his kids next weekend but now he will be on the friggen rig.

He also now won't get two weeks off like he's supposed to either, now its one week....and that can't be changed because it fucks with his time off at Christmas time.

For those of you confused. He works on an offshore oil rig, they are building one now and it's getting ready to sail out to its final destination.

EDIT***********

We are both grateful for his job, we both realize what a blessing it is to have a job in an economy like this and I do know there are people out there that work harder or longer than my SO but that doesn't minimize my or his feelings or frustration. It also doesn't mean I'm not allowed to voice my frustrations on here either. Yes this is life but venting helps me cope.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dmarie2101
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:36 AM

dems the breaks.

it sucks but it happens. just look at it as extra christmas money or something. thats what i do.

OhSara87
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:39 AM
Hugs....my brothers ex gf, from high school, her dad oversees things on several rigs. She was in 3 different schools at the same time depending on who was able to let her stay while he was gone.

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:39 AM
It will be a lot of money but he misses his kids, he hasn't seen them in 6 weeks and now won't see them until sometime in December because their mom has plans for Thanksgiving and is taking them out of town.

Quoting dmarie2101:

dems the breaks.

it sucks but it happens. just look at it as extra christmas money or something. thats what i do.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:41 AM
It's so frustrating. I'm hoping though that once its operational he will have his time off like he's supposed to. He's never had two weeks since he started this job back in June I believe.

Quoting OhSara87:

Hugs....my brothers ex gf, from high school, her dad oversees things on several rigs. She was in 3 different schools at the same time depending on who was able to let her stay while he was gone.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ivegotrhythm
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:43 AM
I'm sorry!
dmarie2101
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:47 AM

im sure they all miss their families.

luckily daniel is on a pretty steady 14/14, i think the longest hes had to stay over was a week, maybe a full extra hitch but idr. when he first broke out, he was on a shitty workover rig, one crew, 12-16 hour days, 7 days a wk for almost 6 months. he was home every night bc the rig wasnt too far, but we rarely saw him. he would come in, maybe eat dinner, take a quick bath or shower, and go to bed. idk how many times i had to wake him up in the bathtub.

anyway, he'll get through it. sorry he wont be home, though.

Quoting Roxygurl:

It will be a lot of money but he misses his kids, he hasn't seen them in 6 weeks and now won't see them until sometime in December because their mom has plans for Thanksgiving and is taking them out of town.

Quoting dmarie2101:

dems the breaks.

OhSara87
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:53 AM
I'm sure it is. I know he's missed many birthdays and she ended up getting her GED because she was tired of trying to keep up with which school and classes and grades up.

Quoting Roxygurl:

It's so frustrating. I'm hoping though that once its operational he will have his time off like he's supposed to. He's never had two weeks since he started this job back in June I believe.

Quoting OhSara87:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Tell them that he refuses to work after the 19th when he was scheduled to have his two weeks off or have him get a doctors note telling them he can't work after the 19th and he needs the two week break.

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 7:29 AM
He can't. There are no helicopters flying until the 25th and unless he wants to swim the Gulf of Mexico there is nothing he can do.

Quoting Anonymous:

Tell them that he refuses to work after the 19th when he was scheduled to have his two weeks off or have him get a doctors note telling them he can't work after the 19th and he needs the two week break.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2013 at 7:32 AM

it sucks but we do what we have to do and work the hours they tell us.. Its life.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)