Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm working on Thanksgiving

ugh....this is a vent.  I've got a part time retail job to help with bills & Christmas presents.  And they've scheduled me for Thanksgiving from 5 pm to 2am.  We always drive an hour away for my family's Thanksgiving (40 people) and dinner's always right around 4 or 5...then there's a fun party.  

I don't mind working any shift the ends by 2pm or that begins at like 8 pm...but these hours are making me cringle for my family.

Now I'm going to miss is.  My family will pressure me to quit this low paying job, but it's really helping us right now.  My dh is going to be the worst.  I'll hear about this for years.  I've been a SAHM for 13 yrs, my youngest is 2.  I have such a crappy feeling in my stomach right now.  I haven't told anyone yet.  I'm going to beg for someone to switch shifts with me.  I'm nervous about my hours on Christmas Eve & Christmas.  :(

Is this happening to anyone else here?  

by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 7:20 AM
Replies (11-20):
MistyMoo
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:11 AM
It sucks, but it happens.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:12 AM
Why are you surprised. You're working retail.
Mweddle
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:12 AM

I personally would quit.  However, I have worked black fridays before and it was kind of fun to watch the madness.  If you can do thanksgiving with your family early, like lunch time, it would probably be ok if you need the job.

suzanneyea
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:16 AM

I would quit if it is going to upset your family that much. But, talk to your husband first. Don't just assume he will want you to quit.

BelieveInLove
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:25 AM

I'm working Thanksgiving, Christmas eve, Christmas day and New Years. I'm okay with it. I get paid double time.

mom2the.rescue
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:27 AM

We knew I'd be working...I was just hoping for a morning shift or a late shift.  My family said they'd work around my schedule, but I don't see the turkey being done early enough, and usually there's other family members that don't get off work till around 3pm...so it's me or them.  

Quoting Anonymous:

its retail....did they honestly think you would be off? you are the low man here, which means you get stuck with the crappy shifts

mom2the.rescue
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:28 AM

I want to, but I actually like it, it was a long interview process, and it's definitely helping with our financial situation.  Plus, it's kind of nice to be out there in normal people land again.

Quoting steffielou_who:

I would quit.. Sorry but holidays are important to me..

Kimbabymomma
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:28 AM
1 mom liked this

aw that stinks :/ I'm so thankfully I have thanksgiving off

mom2the.rescue
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:29 AM

I was just really hoping for a morning shift or a late shift.  Anything before 2pm and anything after 8 pm.  I'm really hoping someone will work those first few hours for me so I don't miss Thanksgiving.  If I'm not there, I don't see dh bringing himself and the kids there..he'll want to go to his family's instead.  And that's a hoarder's house full of drug addicts...I'm cringing right now ;(

Quoting poietes:

Yup, did it for years. That's what you get when you are in retail. Come on, you got hired as seasonal help, what did you really think would happen? That 5 pm shift is like the start of Black Friday.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:30 AM

I don't know why you didn't ask for it off...

I worked out a deal with my boss. I will work all holidays except for Thanksgiving, Easter and Halloween. It works for us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN