Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm working on Thanksgiving

ugh....this is a vent.  I've got a part time retail job to help with bills & Christmas presents.  And they've scheduled me for Thanksgiving from 5 pm to 2am.  We always drive an hour away for my family's Thanksgiving (40 people) and dinner's always right around 4 or 5...then there's a fun party.  

I don't mind working any shift the ends by 2pm or that begins at like 8 pm...but these hours are making me cringle for my family.

Now I'm going to miss is.  My family will pressure me to quit this low paying job, but it's really helping us right now.  My dh is going to be the worst.  I'll hear about this for years.  I've been a SAHM for 13 yrs, my youngest is 2.  I have such a crappy feeling in my stomach right now.  I haven't told anyone yet.  I'm going to beg for someone to switch shifts with me.  I'm nervous about my hours on Christmas Eve & Christmas.  :(

Is this happening to anyone else here?  

by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 7:20 AM
Replies (21-30):
cindilou13
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry, but you really should have anticipated that you would be working on the holidays in a job like this. You are the newest (or one of the newest) employees and knowing you are only going to be there seasonally-you are definitely low man on the totem pole.  If they are open holidays, of course you are going to be scheduled then. 

mom2the.rescue
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:30 AM

I don't think so.  I knew I'd be working holidays, I said I would, but the hiring manager did say she'd try to give me the shifts I wanted for those days so my family wouldn't freak out.

Quoting Anonymous:

I used to work thanksgiving and easter day at a grocery store. I would actually volunteer for those shifts since they paid time& a half and it would be extremely slow. Do you even get paid extra for those holiday shifts? I think going into it..you should have known that holidays were probably going to be required.

Osstie
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:31 AM
You HAVE to lnow that working retail means working holidays. If you dont go to work, you will be fired, and there us mo switching shifts. Everyone works that day.
mom2the.rescue
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:32 AM

I thought about it...but it was a long interview process, there was actually a lot to learn, I like the people, and it's helping with the bills.  They're not handing out jobs like this around here.  

Quoting MommyAddie:

I would quit in a heartbeat rather than miss Thanksgiving.

mom2the.rescue
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:35 AM

I'm not surprised.  Everyone knew they'd be working.  I just had my fingers crossed for a shift that wouldn't totally ruin the day.  This one does it.  If I tried to go to Thanksgiving, I'd have to leave before the food was done and before everyone even gets there.  And it'd be a 2 hour drive total..plus whatever holiday traffic there is.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why are you surprised. You're working retail.

mom2the.rescue
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:37 AM

I'm hoping I can work someone's earlier shift so they can be home cooking and they'll work just a portion of mine.  Like from 5-8.  I don't have to leave the area until 2pm and coming home at 8 would be fine.  We're going to be open for like 50 hours straight...so I thought the odds of me getting a shift that I would like would be pretty good.

Quoting Osstie:

You HAVE to lnow that working retail means working holidays. If you dont go to work, you will be fired, and there us mo switching shifts. Everyone works that day.

mom2the.rescue
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:39 AM

I'm going to have to reread my post or something.  Everyone thinks I'm surprised or pissed about working the holidays.  Of course I knew I would.  And I'm not just hired for seasonal help.  They want me for a supervisor.  I've been there a couple months.  There are tons of new people under me.  I just wanted a shift I could work with.  A shift where I wouldn't miss the entire party.  

Quoting cindilou13:

I'm sorry, but you really should have anticipated that you would be working on the holidays in a job like this. You are the newest (or one of the newest) employees and knowing you are only going to be there seasonally-you are definitely low man on the totem pole.  If they are open holidays, of course you are going to be scheduled then. 

mom2the.rescue
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:40 AM

My mom said they would do whatever time works for me.  But I don't see how that would work.  There's always a few other people that we wait for.  They work till about 3 pm.  So are we not going to wait for them because of me?  It's a party of about 40 people.  I'm working black Friday and that's fine with me.

Quoting Mweddle:

I personally would quit.  However, I have worked black fridays before and it was kind of fun to watch the madness.  If you can do thanksgiving with your family early, like lunch time, it would probably be ok if you need the job.

crackerjack728
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:41 AM

No, I work in a restaurant and let the kids work. 

mom2the.rescue
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:43 AM

They said it's mandatory.  Everyone works it.  There is no requesting it off or specific hours.  I don't mind working holidays, I just wanted the shifts where it wouldn't ruin our traditions.  This shift does that.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't know why you didn't ask for it off...

I worked out a deal with my boss. I will work all holidays except for Thanksgiving, Easter and Halloween. It works for us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured