Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm working on Thanksgiving

ugh....this is a vent.  I've got a part time retail job to help with bills & Christmas presents.  And they've scheduled me for Thanksgiving from 5 pm to 2am.  We always drive an hour away for my family's Thanksgiving (40 people) and dinner's always right around 4 or 5...then there's a fun party.  

I don't mind working any shift the ends by 2pm or that begins at like 8 pm...but these hours are making me cringle for my family.

Now I'm going to miss is.  My family will pressure me to quit this low paying job, but it's really helping us right now.  My dh is going to be the worst.  I'll hear about this for years.  I've been a SAHM for 13 yrs, my youngest is 2.  I have such a crappy feeling in my stomach right now.  I haven't told anyone yet.  I'm going to beg for someone to switch shifts with me.  I'm nervous about my hours on Christmas Eve & Christmas.  :(

Is this happening to anyone else here?  

by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 7:20 AM
Replies (31-40):
mom2the.rescue
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:44 AM

I took a while to get this job, I don't want to quit it.  And I know him;  he freaked out I was getting a job in the first place.

Quoting suzanneyea:

I would quit if it is going to upset your family that much. But, talk to your husband first. Don't just assume he will want you to quit.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:45 AM
My dh works every year on thanksgiving. This year it will be a 12 hour shift when Black Friday begins at 6 thanksgiving night and he gets off 6 the next morning.
Heisenberg
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:46 AM

I'm sorry. That really sucks. Luckily I got out of retail before the whole "open for Thanksgiving" bullshit started to get more popular. I think it sucks, and I hate that people like you are stuck working a holiday when you deserve to spend time with you family. I will never shop a Thanksgiving. Personally I would quit, but I understand needing the money. Honestly if you didn't need the money I doubt you'd work such a shit job where you are abused daily by entitled customers. (just my experience)

Good luck, I hope someone will switch with you.

photo dc5ca263-cf0b-41f3-8c3a-03e308f2a00f_zpsfb229a94.jpg

suzanneyea
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:46 AM

You are used to it. The op's husband is not used to his wife not being there.

Quoting Anonymous:

My dh works every year on thanksgiving. This year it will be a 12 hour shift when Black Friday begins at 6 thanksgiving night and he gets off 6 the next morning.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:48 AM

I hate that black Friday has turned into black Thursday...When I worked retail the worst I had to do was be to Toys R Us by 5 AM.  That was only 11 years ago...

That being said, I will be shopping on BF...Just not going to shorten my family plans for it...

I'd try working it out with one of your co-workers to find something that works.  Usually if you've already got a plan worked out and someone willing to take over your manager will be ok with switching the schedule...that's my experience anyway.  Good luck hun...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:48 AM
2 moms liked this
The op husband is a grown man he will manage. Just as everyone else who has someone working. The shift she has isn't nothing to complain about. She will be able to spend time with her family. Mine has to sleep all day to get ready for a 12 hour shift

Quoting suzanneyea:

Quoting Anonymous:

suzanneyea
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Everything is relative. Just because you are ok with it, does not mean everyone has to be. I would be upset if my husband was not home for a major holiday. I am a grown women, but I would be pissed.

Quoting Anonymous:

The op husband is a grown man he will manage. Just as everyone else who has someone working. The shift she has isn't nothing to complain about. She will be able to spend time with her family. Mine has to sleep all day to get ready for a 12 hour shift

Quoting suzanneyea:

Quoting Anonymous:

Sweetest_Britt
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this
OP I love that you're not willing to quit! Wtf is with all these moms who would quit a job that was helping to pay bills and provide Christmas for their kids, so they can sit at Thanksgiving?

Maybe talk to your relatives about doing the meal earlier in the day? I had to work Christmas when I was a teenager (high school job) and because the holiday was important, they moved everything to earlier so I could be there! My dad drove me the 1 1/2 hours home to get my car (that I paid for with that job) and then drove back!!

I can't believe in this economy how many people would rather struggle then suck it up and work a holiday!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:52 AM
It's called life. And she will will be home until her shift at 5. So yeah she will be not be missing the whole day. If it such a big deal maybe they should have their own thanksgiving early.

Quoting suzanneyea:

Everything is relative. Just because you are ok with it, does not mean everyone has to be. I would be upset if my husband was not home for a major holiday. I am a grown women, but I would be pissed.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting suzanneyea:

Quoting Anonymous:

cindilou13
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Well you said it was a vent, which typically means angry about something.  And you didn't mention in the original post that you didn't mind to work, just would have preferred a different time.  So yep, it sounds that you are surprised and pissed, or at least that's how I (and it looks like most) read it.  Hopefully you will have some luck switching shifts : )

Quoting mom2the.rescue:

I'm going to have to reread my post or something.  Everyone thinks I'm surprised or pissed about working the holidays.  Of course I knew I would.  And I'm not just hired for seasonal help.  They want me for a supervisor.  I've been there a couple months.  There are tons of new people under me.  I just wanted a shift I could work with.  A shift where I wouldn't miss the entire party.  

Quoting cindilou13:

I'm sorry, but you really should have anticipated that you would be working on the holidays in a job like this. You are the newest (or one of the newest) employees and knowing you are only going to be there seasonally-you are definitely low man on the totem pole.  If they are open holidays, of course you are going to be scheduled then. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN