Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm working on Thanksgiving

ugh....this is a vent.  I've got a part time retail job to help with bills & Christmas presents.  And they've scheduled me for Thanksgiving from 5 pm to 2am.  We always drive an hour away for my family's Thanksgiving (40 people) and dinner's always right around 4 or 5...then there's a fun party.  

I don't mind working any shift the ends by 2pm or that begins at like 8 pm...but these hours are making me cringle for my family.

Now I'm going to miss is.  My family will pressure me to quit this low paying job, but it's really helping us right now.  My dh is going to be the worst.  I'll hear about this for years.  I've been a SAHM for 13 yrs, my youngest is 2.  I have such a crappy feeling in my stomach right now.  I haven't told anyone yet.  I'm going to beg for someone to switch shifts with me.  I'm nervous about my hours on Christmas Eve & Christmas.  :(

Is this happening to anyone else here?  

by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 7:20 AM
Replies (91-100):
mom2the.rescue
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:40 AM

They don't let you take the day off or request certain hours for holidays.  You just have to wait & see what you get.

Quoting MayBeeIAm:

I worked on thanksgiving before. It sucks, I can't lie.

If I were you I would see if you can get an earlier shift. If not, I say work your schedule and don't make the same mistake next year.

Last year my family rescheduled thanksgiving for the following week : ) and even recorded the macys day parade. I realize we are a small bunch so it was a little different, but the point is maybe you can "redo" t-day at your house with just te three if you next weekend?

Make it work and don't get caught like this again. Hugs, cause I know te day won't be easy, but it will pass.

MayBeeIAm
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:46 AM
Them next year work somewhere else now that you have retail experience you can start looking wen season ends and by this time next year you will have more pull

Quoting mom2the.rescue:

They don't let you take the day off or request certain hours for holidays.  You just have to wait & see what you get.

Quoting MayBeeIAm:

I worked on thanksgiving before. It sucks, I can't lie.

If I were you I would see if you can get an earlier shift. If not, I say work your schedule and don't make the same mistake next year.

Last year my family rescheduled thanksgiving for the following week : ) and even recorded the macys day parade. I realize we are a small bunch so it was a little different, but the point is maybe you can "redo" t-day at your house with just te three if you next weekend?

Make it work and don't get caught like this again. Hugs, cause I know te day won't be easy, but it will pass.

ladymaleficent
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:20 AM
When I startes we opened at 6 am black friday it was fun.... now its just greed and wrong..

Quoting mom2the.rescue:

I think I heard our store is opening at 6am on Thanksgiving and not closing until after Black Friday.  I don't mind working holidays, but I really hoped I'd be able to do at least a portion of our normal party with them.  I'm afraid my kids won't get to go at all because of me.

Quoting ladymaleficent:

No.. this is by far the worst retail year I have seen. I ♥ black Friday always have its fun! But this opening at 5, 6, 8 pm on thanksgiving is bull. And noe no time and a half?!?!?.. this is my last yeae I'm not doing this. Xmas eve isn't bad and xmas is closed

mom2the.rescue
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I think the store is having a hard time competing with Walmart and other big stores.  So I understand they're trying to make the most money possible by doing this.  I wish they let us have a chance at picking our holiday hours though.

Quoting ladymaleficent:

When I startes we opened at 6 am black friday it was fun.... now its just greed and wrong..

Quoting mom2the.rescue:

I think I heard our store is opening at 6am on Thanksgiving and not closing until after Black Friday.  I don't mind working holidays, but I really hoped I'd be able to do at least a portion of our normal party with them.  I'm afraid my kids won't get to go at all because of me.

Quoting ladymaleficent:

No.. this is by far the worst retail year I have seen. I ♥ black Friday always have its fun! But this opening at 5, 6, 8 pm on thanksgiving is bull. And noe no time and a half?!?!?.. this is my last yeae I'm not doing this. Xmas eve isn't bad and xmas is closed

ladymaleficent
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Its wrong....just wrong they willl still make about the same the increase in sales isn't worth this

Quoting mom2the.rescue:

I think the store is having a hard time competing with Walmart and other big stores.  So I understand they're trying to make the most money possible by doing this.  I wish they let us have a chance at picking our holiday hours though.

Quoting ladymaleficent:

Quoting mom2the.rescue:

Quoting ladymaleficent:

DamianaFire
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 7:46 PM
So, do you know what you are going to do? I hope you can work it all out.

Quoting mom2the.rescue:

It's not really about me.  I don't want my kids to miss it.  I doubt dh will bring them to my family's without me.  And them all missing our whole family would suck for them.  We'd be the talk of the day and I know it would put a weird damper on the whole evening.

Quoting DamianaFire:

I work M-F 8am to 4:30pm. We are closed all major holidays. I also have vacation the week of Thanksgiving.

It comes down to why is more important: the thanksgiving party for a few hours. Or working. YOU decide.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 17 on Nov. 14, 2013 at 7:48 PM

what did you expect when you work a part time job in retail at the HOLIDAYS!!!! Maybe you should quit and give the job to someone that would respect it!

lincolnlady
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 7:49 PM
My dh works Thanksgiving every year. And he doesn't have a low paying retail job. This year he's getting stuck working Christmas Eve and Christmas as well. :(
mom2the.rescue
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Woah...I knew I was going to be scheduled on the holidays.  I just hoped that out of a 24 hour time frame I would get some hours that wouldn't completely ruin our tradition.  Geez-La-Wheeze.

Quoting Anonymous:

what did you expect when you work a part time job in retail at the HOLIDAYS!!!! Maybe you should quit and give the job to someone that would respect it!

FoxFire363
by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 1:41 PM

My wife will be working Thanksgiving, I have no idea what her shift will be yet, but I know they are essentially not closing from Thanksgiving through Black Friday. She works at Starbucks, and while it isn't retail, they will be there to caffeinate all the Black Friday shoppers. I don't know that we will even be going to Thanksgiving at my in-laws this year as a result. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN