Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My kid is weird and nobody likes her.

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:00 PM
  • 392 Replies
2 moms liked this

My daughter is in junior kindergarten.  She is very very smart.  Not being an ass, she is just smart. Her peers are reading "level 1" and "level 2" books, and she is reading "level 18" books.
She is very eccentric and quirky.
I went to her classroom observation today and saw her ask other children to play with her and get rejected repeatedly.  I was tearing up by the door..Her teacher told me that only  a few kids want to play with her.  The teacher also told me that my daughter only wants to hang out alone or with the teachers/helpers.
I don't know what to do for her. I think she is hilarious and fun, but the other 4-5 year olds obviously just don't get her...

Help? Advice?

*edit*
Woot, featured!
Thank you to everyone who gave actual advice or encouragement and didn't just insult me or my daughter.
I talked with her dad and we are going to look together for some sort of extra curricular activity for her that we can afford.
 I'm going back and re reading some replies that I only got a chance to skim.
anyway, thanks again. 

[and for those that keep asking, in my province kids start school the year they turn 4.  They do 2 years of kindergarten, JK and SK.] 

by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OrangeBalloon
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:02 PM
19 moms liked this

Gosh I'm not sure. Maybe looking into a private school with a good gifted program. 

DonnaNoble
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:02 PM
2 moms liked this
My DD had problems in k. The school had a 'friendship group' that helped some of the kids with social skills. Does her school have anything like that?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Aww :( I dunno
LuckyLady0427
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:03 PM
55 moms liked this
I was that kid. It made me independent and I found a husband who was the same. Let her be her. She will be a very strong young woman. Keep feeding her mind. When she has scholarships kids will wish they were her. L
P.V.Hawkwind
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:04 PM
2 moms liked this

Last year DD was in preschool and none of the kids liked her. :(

This year the kids like her and they hug and ask to go over each other houses. It might just be the group of kids. My DD has her little quirks. She loves dogs and that is pretty much all she talks about. lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:04 PM
29 moms liked this

You need to be realistic. Saying "the other 4-5 year olds don't get her," actually means that she doesn't get them. You see her as an advanced special snowflake, but in actuality she is likely not very socially mature and doesn't pick up on social cues well, so other kids see her as 'weird.' Maybe talk to her teacher about other behaviors s/he sees and bring it up with a pediatrician? 

BambiF
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Quoting OrangeBalloon:

Gosh I'm not sure. Maybe looking into a private school with a good gifted program. 

Not something I could afford...
Her school is partial french immersion, though.  So in grade 1 she can take part in that pathway....
Her teacher told me that sometimes during group activities she will go into the corner and read or play alone...I feel so bad 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:05 PM
1 mom liked this
My daughter was like that, but now that she is 12 she has found plenty of friends.
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this

If she is that smart could they move her up to the next grade or is reading the only subject that she is so far ahead of the other students??

MicheleJM
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:06 PM
4 moms liked this

This.  She does have some friends apparently.  Is SHE upset? Not many kids get ds10 either.  He doesn't seem to care all that much though he has his friends and he's happy.  If she isn't upset I would let her alone.

Quoting LuckyLady0427:

I was that kid. It made me independent and I found a husband who was the same. Let her be her. She will be a very strong young woman. Keep feeding her mind. When she has scholarships kids will wish they were her. L

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)