Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Please no bashing. But how can I make this stretch?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 111 Replies

DHs unit and our church each have us Thanksgiving baskets. Both have 15-16 pound turkeys. We tried to tell his unit to give it to someone else who needs it. But his SSG and LT told him to take it home and use the extra to help stretch our food budget. We are a family of 5 on an E4's pay and get NO outside help. No WIC nothing. So we do struggle sometimes, but the last few months have been very hard financially.

So my question is, how can I use one of the turkey's to make our budget stretch? It's me, DH, 2 preschoolers, and an infant who's not old enough for solids.

ETA I said we don't get help. Not that we don't need help. We do, desperately, I have just never asked for it or revealed to anyone that things really are bad. DH's unit knows because we had to get an AER loan, and our church knows because I revealed it to one friend, and she happens to be in charge of the distribution. I spoke to her about giving it to someone else, and DH spoke to his leadership, BOTH told us to use it to try to get back on our feet. I was just cleared to go back to work after an injury and am still looking. I'm looking for recipes and whatnot to stretch this as far as I can because the money this could save us in groceries can go toward getting us out of the hole we're in and back on track. This wasn't me going to both and saying "gimme gimme" this was they saw we needed help and offered. We've never accepted help before, we've always been okay and done what we can for others. This time, however, we are drowning and need a little help.

So freaking sue me. I've done the best I can with everything that's happened, and will continue trying to make this come back together. But in the meantime, I don't feel like the world's worst person for accepting the help that was offered.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 15, 2013 at 1:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 15, 2013 at 1:02 PM
And how long does it take to thaw one out.
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this

cook it and make turkey noodle soup and freeze it

ivegotrhythm
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Cook it into meals you can freeze.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 15, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Why not tell the church to give it to another family?
ittyprincess604
by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Turkey chili, sandwiches.
vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Nov. 15, 2013 at 1:04 PM

You can make a lot out of it..

Caera
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Seriously? Cook it and then freeze it.

lovemymini
by Emerald Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Make soup or just make the turkey and eat sandwiches for a couple weeks:). There's a lot you could do.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 15, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Surely there's got to be more ways to make that much turkey into meals. (Though I love turkey noodle soup)

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

cook it and make turkey noodle soup and freeze it

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 15, 2013 at 1:05 PM
That's what I want to do. I just don't have any recipes.

Quoting ivegotrhythm:

Cook it into meals you can freeze.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)