Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Your kid is running through the lobby and hallways screaming and I AM the a**hole?

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 1:02 PM
  • 53 Replies
1 mom liked this

UGH.

I went down with the kids to switch the laundry, and there is this little girl there.  DS and her are sorta friends, she is much younger just barely out of toddlerhood, and ds is 8 but sn so immature.

Anyhoo, this little girl is allowed to run up and down the hallways and lobby on the first floor shrieking while her mother and gran do the laundry.  It's annoying, and many of the other residents have commented on it, but whatever, I don't care it's not my business.

My son started running with her and screaming at the top of his lungs, so I stopped doing my laundry and went out and pulled him aside and scolded him.  Nothing mean, just a mommy voice and "No.  We do not do that.  It is a lobby and people's home, not a playground.  We walk and use our indoor voices in the lobby."  Ds said "But, she's doing it."  So I just said "I don't care, she isn't my responsibility, you are.  And you are not allowed to do it."

So I go back to doing my laundry and I notice the lady giving me stink eye, so I smiled and asked "problem?"  And she said in a snotty voice, "they are just being kids!"  I just said "Whatever"  and finished up and left while her and her mother talked (probably about me) in angry spanish.

UGH.  

So bashers, am I an asshole for at least attempting to teach my kid manners?

by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momtogirls0823
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 1:05 PM
8 moms liked this

I would have done the exact same thing, so no you were not out of line.  My kids will know how to behave in public and if they misbehave they will be disciplined.  That lady had no right to do what she did.  I think you handled it well.  :)

tardistraveller
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 1:07 PM

thanks.  It's not like I told her kid to stop.  Which was tempting lol.  

Quoting Momtogirls0823:

I would have done the exact same thing, so no you were not out of line.  My kids will know how to behave in public and if they misbehave they will be disciplined.  That lady had no right to do what she did.  I think you handled it well.  :)

tardistraveller
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 1:09 PM

BUMP!

USMCWifey2011
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 1:11 PM
I would have too.. at least you discipline your kid
tardistraveller
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I cannot fathom how she thinks it's ok for her little girl to do it.  I see her all the time doing it.

Quoting USMCWifey2011:

I would have too.. at least you discipline your kid

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 15, 2013 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I would've done the exact same thing.  Sounds like she was embarrassed bc you wouldn't let your child run around screaming like a brat.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 15, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Nope.  I've had people in the past try to excuse behaviors with "kids will be kids", but I think there is a time and a place and children need to be taught the wheres and whens.  

Besides, I"ve seen kids who haven't been taught the difference and when they REALLY need to behave, they can't and it is incredibly stressful for everyone, including them.

BrittSam2011
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Is this the same lady who had the girl you caught in the washing machine?

if so, that lady's a fucking idiot and she has no manners either.

vegaswife2011
by Emerald Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 1:16 PM

No bashing here, I'm the same way mama!  :)

tardistraveller
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 1:18 PM

lol no, this lady's kid is actually really sweet but she is allowed to run around the lobby happy screaming.  It's normal kid play, just not the right place for it.

Quoting BrittSam2011:

Is this the same lady who had the girl you caught in the washing machine?

if so, that lady's a fucking idiot and she has no manners either.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured