Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

RN dies in car accident...........her family is suing the hospital where she worked. Thoughts?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 37 Replies

An Ohio RN died instantly after being involved in a car accident. Her family is suing the hospital where she worked claiming they worked her to death. She often told her family and co workers she didn't even have time to eat during her 12 hour shifts and she was constantly being called in to work because she was one of the few RNs who knew how to use a dialysis machine. She worked for Jewish Hospital and the whole story can be found on www.cincinnati.com but you may have to look around for it because the accident happened last week. She worked 3 12-hour shifts but often was called in on her off days. I do not know the family but I am extremely sorry for their tragic loss. There are 2 sides to every story but, in my opinion, this woman should have said no to the extra shifts if she knew it was simply too much. 16 hours is the absolute max per Ohio law that a RN or STNA (State Tested Nurses Aide) can work in one shift. Should her family win? Is it the hospital's fault or should she have taken some personal responsibility and told her boss she was at her absolute limit? 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 15, 2013 at 1:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 15, 2013 at 1:56 PM
2 moms liked this

no... many people work shifts like that and still get called in for work on their days off, my husband does. She might have felt compelled to work those shifts but unless she was being threatened with the loss of her job if she refused then the family shouldn't sue. It'd be a waste of money and time. If she felt she couldn't handle the shifts she shouldnt have taken them

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 15, 2013 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Not only is nursing physically demanding, it's also emotionally draining and requires your constant attention.  You have the lives of your patients in your hands every day.  I don't know how I feel about this but in nursing school, my professors actually had us practicing saying no to extra shifts etc.  They will use scare tactics, guilt or anything to get you to stay late or work on your day off.  Unfortunately that is what happened with this woman.  They could have hired another nurse who was trained with working with dialysis.  She may have been absolutely exhausted and that could have contributed to her death so I can see why they are suing.  I just don't think they will win.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 15, 2013 at 4:23 PM

BUMP!

jojo_star
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 4:25 PM
2 moms liked this

Family should win. She was probably threatened with being let go it she said no, that's how it often works. I'm an RN, and it can get crazy sometimes, how much we work, when we have no one else. Worker protection laws in this country suck, btw. Poor woman. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 15, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Stupid. She COULD have said no. She could have chosen a different career.

How many new mothers go months on end with virtually no sleep because they have babies?

2012Rabbit12
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Lol. no. (it's not the hospital's fault)

2012Rabbit12
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 4:27 PM

me:P

Quoting Anonymous:

Stupid. She COULD have said no. She could have chosen a different career.

How many new mothers go months on end with virtually no sleep because they have babies?

Ms_mom_81
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 4:28 PM

If she was told she would be fired if she didn't come in then yes they should be sued. Hospitals should be mindful of overworking staff. You can't think when you are exhuasted.  I wonder if the doctor I work for gets more than 3-4 hours sleep every night.

MrsApple
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Agreed.My husband works 18+ hour days (today and tomorrow,in fact,will both be those hours) and there's no way I'd sue the city/his department for making him work his shift followed by court or training,if an accident happened.It is what it is.

Quoting Anonymous:

no... many people work shifts like that and still get called in for work on their days off, my husband does. She might have felt compelled to work those shifts but unless she was being threatened with the loss of her job if she refused then the family shouldn't sue. It'd be a waste of money and time. If she felt she couldn't handle the shifts she shouldnt have taken them

hautemama83
by Emerald Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 4:31 PM
Its a matter of personal responsibility imo. 3/12 shifts are common for RNs. If she couldn't handle the extra, she should've said no. Even if they threatened to fire her. Being fired is much better than being dead.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)