Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sciatic (sp) nerve pain?? **Edit THANKS!!

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 4:06 PM
  • 15 Replies

Ok so this pain in my back has been bumming me out since yesterday morning. It started when I was pregnant and usually only happens every once in a while for a few hours at most. It is on my right side above my buft cheak, by my hip. I have a hard time lifting things and when I'm walking it hurts. Sometimes it goes down my leg. Is this sciatic nerve pain? Has anyone else had this? I cannot go to a doc because we dont have insurance until January. Any ideas on how to make it better? I've been using a heating pad, and icy hot, but I'm afraid that if I take ibuprofen I will mess it up more because I can't feel it. It has never hurt for this long at a time...

***So I googled some stretches and found a youtube video made by a physical therapist.  I tried each of her stretches and it seemed to make the pain less intense.  We'll see if maybe doing these daily reduces this pain even more.  Thanks to all the ladies who had advice for me!  It really helped...and now I'm going to put an ice pack on my back.  Thanks for telling me that heat is no good, lol, I would have never thought of that.  :D 

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LokisMama
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 4:08 PM

It does sound like sciatic pain.  I got it starting with my pregnancies, but it runs in my family as well.  Unfortunatly, other than going to chiro and getting realligned there's not a whole lot you can do to help. 

PuddinPop4
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 4:09 PM
I have sciatic pain but it runs down my lower back to down both my legs.
IamMex11
by JorgematoTM on Nov. 15, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Please believe me when I tell you this (although it sounds odd), WALK BACKWORDS.  

JealousGrrl
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 4:09 PM
That's kind of what I figured...bummer.

Quoting LokisMama:

It does sound like sciatic pain.  I got it starting with my pregnancies, but it runs in my family as well.  Unfortunatly, other than going to chiro and getting realligned there's not a whole lot you can do to help. 

JealousGrrl
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 4:10 PM
I'm trying this right now......like walk backwards for a while or just a little?

Quoting IamMex11:

Please believe me when I tell you this (although it sounds odd), WALK BACKWORDS.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 15, 2013 at 4:11 PM

i have it, it sucks. hot baths and sciatic nerve stretches are your friend! look it up on youtube

SunshneDaydream
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 4:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it is. I got it with both of my pregnancies, same place as you only the left hip.  Now I get it from time to time because I've gained alot of weight recently.  I read it's brought on by sudden weight gain, which is why it occurs often in pregnancy.  Look up the yoga poses Pigeon and modified pigeon.  It's a hip-opener that REALLY helps me!  It's hard to describe in words though, so you should google it.  The full pose is kinda difficult, probably intermediate-level yoga, so if you're not familiar with yoga you shouldn't start with that.  There's a modified version you can do lying on your back, or sitting in a chair. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 15, 2013 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this

try the stretches!

Quoting JealousGrrl:

That's kind of what I figured...bummer.

Quoting LokisMama:

IamMex11
by JorgematoTM on Nov. 15, 2013 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe twenty/thirty steps and stop.  do that a few times a day.  I promise, it will help.

Quoting JealousGrrl:

I'm trying this right now......like walk backwards for a while or just a little?

Quoting IamMex11:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 15, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Numb your back with ice and not use a heating pad. Heat causes the nerve to swell and ice will cause the nerve to feel numb. Ibuprofen will help with pain and swelling (800mg). Stretch as much as possible. Downward dog believe it or not really helps. Stand up to a wall press your butt into it with your hands above you head and reach for the ceiling. Stretch each side as far as you can.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured