Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is it weird to take information/research about a condition you have into your dr?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies

I got diagnosed with PCOS September 2011 and then had a baby July 2012 and since then my pcos has gotten worse.(going from 2 symptoms to at least 10) Throughout my pregnancy i only gained 9lbs and since having DD i have gained (even with breastfeeding) 30lbs. Since March 2011 (when i started having symptoms of pcos) i've gained a total of 60lbs. I went for an insurance check up and they told me because of my height and weight that i am considered "obese" (i don't look it because the weight is spread out evenly, i just look "thick") and that my good cholesterol is low and my bad cholesterol is high. I went into my dr and told him everything that has been going on with me, and he admitted that it was because of my pcos and claimed i haven't gained much weight (since when is 60lbs not much weight??). So after 4 months of eating extremely healthy and working out 6 days a week (carido and light weights) i have actually ended up gaining another 5lbs and have lost 0inches. Yesterday i called my dr and made another apt for next Wednesday, did a TON of research on symptoms and treatments, printed it, highlight every symptoms i had, and the treatments i want to try. I will be taking it in to my dr and making him look at them.

Dh says that im "crazy"and he has never known someone to be so weird to look up information then actually take it to the dr. He says he understands i want to get it under control, but he also doesn't think my dr is going to listen to me. I told him if my dr doesn't at least take my opinion into consideration when it comes to my body then i will just find a different dr until someone at least wants to help me get this under control.

Have you ever taken information you gathered into you dr? Do you think im being crazy?

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 15, 2013 at 9:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
j3st3r
by Jedi on Nov. 15, 2013 at 9:22 PM
If he doesn't listen, find a new doctor. I can't imagine a doctor shrugging off a 60 pound gain like that.
thenameshailie
by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 9:23 PM
2 moms liked this
No, its smart to communicate and talk about whatever youre thinking about your health with your doctor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 15, 2013 at 9:32 PM

that's what i thought. if he doesn't listen then i will be finding a new dr. I went from a size 8/9 jean to a 17/18.. i absolutely hate my body now.

Quoting j3st3r:

If he doesn't listen, find a new doctor. I can't imagine a doctor shrugging off a 60 pound gain like that.

Beauty91805
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this
You're not crazy, I would do it too.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 15, 2013 at 9:40 PM
I think that's way better then blindly trusting a doctor. It's your body, your disorder you need to take charge.

That said remember he is the doctor. Ideally you should use his medical knowledge and your knowledge of your body to find the best solution possible.
A.J.s_mommy
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 9:44 PM
1 mom liked this
If you don't advocate for yourself...who will? I think its odd not to research when given a diagnosis.
TatyBear
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 9:54 PM
If a Dr wont listen, go somewhere else.

I research everything when its for my children, and I bring it up. There are a few things my kids pedi has missed with my youngest DD growth issues. And he was pleased I did my own research, cause it helped. He is a great dr but sometimes things get overlooked.

60lbs is a lot in that time IMO.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 15, 2013 at 9:56 PM

I agree, but ive tried everything besides actual medication and nothing seems to work.

Quoting TatyBear:

If a Dr wont listen, go somewhere else.

I research everything when its for my children, and I bring it up. There are a few things my kids pedi has missed with my youngest DD growth issues. And he was pleased I did my own research, cause it helped. He is a great dr but sometimes things get overlooked.

60lbs is a lot in that time IMO.

squeekers
anyone in BC Canada? Hope you're ok after that 6.6 quake: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/usb000px6r#summary
Today at 12:24 AM
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't care if the Dr thinks I'm crazy. if DH or I have a condition that they know I have, if I find information on the comp, I print it & bring it in for discussion. It has helped my DH's epilepsy for medicine info as well as side effect problems. I figure he sees his neurologist only every 6 months, so any help I can find, I will bring.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 15, 2013 at 9:58 PM
I know that's why I said if he doesn't take my opinion into consideration then I would find a different dr. I understand that something I want to try may not be the best but I would like him to a least listen and consider them
Quoting Anonymous:

I think that's way better then blindly trusting a doctor. It's your body, your disorder you need to take charge.

That said remember he is the doctor. Ideally you should use his medical knowledge and your knowledge of your body to find the best solution possible.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured