Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What to buy/pack?!

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 9:02 AM
  • 14 Replies
Ok, you ladies have great advice for the 14 hour car ride, so on to phase 2. I need cold weather clothes, for myself and the kids. I'm from California where we have 1 season. I don't even dress for NC weather, an I know that Michigan is much colder. And there is snow! :(

So.... What do we need? Does everyone really need rain boots? Do umbrellas even hold up in snow?? We are doing Black Friday shopping, so will be out a lot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 9:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 16, 2013 at 9:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Snow boots,  heavy coats, hats gloves scarves.   Maybe some long johns/long underwear whatever you want to call them.    Oh and heavy socks.    Jeans sweaters sweatshirts.  Clothes you can layer as you get cold or start to warm up inside.

An0nym0use
by Rock Lobster on Nov. 16, 2013 at 9:06 AM
1 mom liked this
No, you don't necessarily need boots, but your feet may be miserable and cold and wet without them. And I wouldn't do rain boots. While they would work, they don't grip well or keep feet warm. I would ask how much snow is on the ground if you really don't want to buy them. If it's more than a couple of inches, I'd find a cheap pair of snow boots.
I've never seen anyone use an umbrella in snow, but that just may be because I'm in Virginia.
lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Rain boots won't do you a lick of good in the snow. Umbrellas are not for snow. Get snow boots. Heavy coats (puffer ones are warm), scarfs, skull caps/warm hats, gloves. For extra warmth wear long Johns, tights, or pantihose (sp?).
Rain2Rinse
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Lol, hey, don't judge me! What do I know about snow? I'm from California!

So people just walk around in the snow with nothing covering their heads??

Quoting An0nym0use:

No, you don't necessarily need boots, but your feet may be miserable and cold and wet without them. And I wouldn't do rain boots. While they would work, they don't grip well or keep feet warm. I would ask how much snow is on the ground if you really don't want to buy them. If it's more than a couple of inches, I'd find a cheap pair of snow boots.

I've never seen anyone use an umbrella in snow, but that just may be because I'm in Virginia.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
An0nym0use
by Rock Lobster on Nov. 16, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Also, fleeces will be your best friend. If you're gonna be jumping in and out of your car a lot, a thin fleece will keep you warm between the car and store and also is usually safe enough to wear while strapped into a car seat (if you have car seat kids). Heavy coats are NOT safe for car seats.
An0nym0use
by Rock Lobster on Nov. 16, 2013 at 9:09 AM
1 mom liked this
No judgment here! :)
Usually just hats or the hoods from the coats.

Quoting Rain2Rinse:

Quoting An0nym0use:

sparkles9009
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 9:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Listen to these woman! My SO just got back from there... Listen to them!

Rain2Rinse
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 9:10 AM
1 mom liked this
No worries, we use blankets in the car for the kids. They dont put on jackets until we get to where we are going.

Quoting An0nym0use:

Also, fleeces will be your best friend. If you're gonna be jumping in and out of your car a lot, a thin fleece will keep you warm between the car and store and also is usually safe enough to wear while strapped into a car seat (if you have car seat kids). Heavy coats are NOT safe for car seats.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsErdos2011
by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Depends on when your going and what part of Michigan you're going to. These are huge factors in what you need. I will tell you right off the bat umbrellas and rain boots are useless in the snow.

danie24
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Yes! LOL

Snow doesn't get you wet like rain does.

I live in Canada where half of the year we have snow up to our eyeballs.. and I have never in my life seen someone use an umbrella in the snow :)

Just put on a winter hat to keep your ears warm.

Quoting Rain2Rinse:

Quoting An0nym0use:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)