Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If a parent abandons a child, EDIT

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies

I had seen something about abandonment on here and decided to look into the laws about it, if the custodial parent were to bring it up in court that the other parent had abandoned the child and the judge agreed. Would the parent who abandoned the child still be forced to pay child support?

Edit: if the parent that makes no contact or visitation, but was paying child support would that be considered abandonment?

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 16, 2013 at 7:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gabenmikeysmom
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 7:55 PM
Yes. You can't just say f this and decide to stop supporting said child.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 16, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Yea, I agree. So basically they  just get their rights taken away?

Quoting gabenmikeysmom:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 16, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Im not sure what abandonment means in your state. leaving your lo in the care of a parent or reliable sitter for a time may not be considered abandonment. check out your state laws. you or the person doing the abandoning, may still go to court to fight for custody. My dad left me in the care of grandparents for 7 years. he even had to go to court to det me back.

gabenmikeysmom
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 8:01 PM
That's a possibility for sure.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting gabenmikeysmom:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 16, 2013 at 8:06 PM

well, from what I read it means going 90 days without visting or contact. It's purely out of curosity, I was just wondering basically if you could go before a judge saying a non custodial had in fact not made contact in whatever time amount and what they would do if they agreed that they had abandoned their child.

Quoting Anonymous:

Im not sure what abandonment means in your state. leaving your lo in the care of a parent or reliable sitter for a time may not be considered abandonment. check out your state laws. you or the person doing the abandoning, may still go to court to fight for custody. My dad left me in the care of grandparents for 7 years. he even had to go to court to det me back.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 16, 2013 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this

thanks, I have become interested in this because I can't find much online about it.

Quoting gabenmikeysmom:

That's a possibility for sure.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting gabenmikeysmom:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 16, 2013 at 8:16 PM

bump

leanntx
by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 8:19 PM
Here it has to be 6 months of no contact AND no support. At that point, their rights can be terminated involuntarily.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 16, 2013 at 8:22 PM

yes, i see. what state are you in? my dad barely visited me, i have no idea how he was able to get custody of me, but im glad he did for the sake of having my new mother. if they agree they abandoned child, more than likely they would have to pay child support.

Quoting Anonymous:

well, from what I read it means going 90 days without visting or contact. It's purely out of curosity, I was just wondering basically if you could go before a judge saying a non custodial had in fact not made contact in whatever time amount and what they would do if they agreed that they had abandoned their child.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 16, 2013 at 8:22 PM

that's interesting. I just read in my state you can't try to get the noncustodial parent on abandonment unless you have a spouse willing to adopt the child, which seems a little ridiculous.

Quoting leanntx:

Here it has to be 6 months of no contact AND no support. At that point, their rights can be terminated involuntarily.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN