Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I think I just lost out on a job interview :(

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies

I have a part time job. We're struggling. So I did the logical thing and started applying for a second job.

I applied to Target last night. I get a call for an interview today. I work mon-friday from 9-3. They wanted to do an interview at 10:45 am on Monday.

I can not do that. There's no one to take over my shift. So the woman said that she'd see if an interview after three is doable.

She never called back. :(

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 16, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thetrollcat
by Meow on Nov. 16, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Im sorry meow...

ff-princess
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 8:39 PM

yeah, they're not going to be very flexible if you can't even make the interview slot.  I'm guessing they have a few dozen qualified applicants for every opening they have, especially now with the holidays upon us.

thetrollcat
by Meow on Nov. 16, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Ya know I think you do have to consider that in their mind if you cannot make a simple interview they feel you may not make it to work....

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 16, 2013 at 8:41 PM

That's the thing. The hours they need (evening and weekends) are the hours I can do. How would it have looked if I said "well, I can call off of work on Monday to make the interview."

I keep my commitments. I've never been late and I've never called off.

Quoting thetrollcat:

Ya know I think you do have to consider that in their mind if you cannot make a simple interview they feel you may not make it to work....

thetrollcat
by Meow on Nov. 16, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Did you put it on your application or resume?

Like others said, they get a ton of applications, and out of those Im sure plenty show up for the interviews. If you dont show you just gave the next person heads up.

Quoting Anonymous:

That's the thing. The hours they need (evening and weekends) are the hours I can do. How would it have looked if I said "well, I can call off of work on Monday to make the interview."

Quoting thetrollcat:

angie729
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Call them back and try to schedule an interview when you can go.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 16, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Yep.

I said I was available to work 5-Close mon-fri and then open to close Saturday and Sunday. Even when she called she said "Now it's just temporary and we really need closers and weekends." I said that I can work those days.

Quoting thetrollcat:

Did you put it on your application or resume?

Like others said, they get a ton of applications, and out of those Im sure plenty show up for the interviews. If you dont show you just gave the next person heads up.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting thetrollcat:

Kellileanne
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Well, with the holidays they may still call you back to do the interview after 3.  People who want to work evenings and weekends are in high demand in retail.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 16, 2013 at 8:46 PM
Just show up at 3:30 that day and see if soeone will interview you. That shows gumption.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 16, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Oddly enough my particular job (another retail job) they need openers. Everyone is available to work in the evenings and weekends. lol. That's how I got lucky working 9-3 Mon-Fri and why i get my weekends and evenings off.

I also get the most hours. Actually I get 30 hours a week. Lol. I just looked at the schedule.

Quoting Kellileanne:

Well, with the holidays they may still call you back to do the interview after 3.  People who want to work evenings and weekends are in high demand in retail.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured