Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My 7 yr old had a mental breakdown!

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 8:44 PM
J3
  • 74 Replies

My 7 yr old DD had some sort of mental break last night.  She is being tested (waiting for appt) for high functioning Autism.  (very high functioning)   So last night she was in the kitchen and my Mom and I are in the living room.  My mom's dog got a chicken bone from the table in the living room.  Totally our fault but hey it happens.  So my mom is holding the dogs mouth (he is a small dog) and I am pulling on the bone and telling him to let go.  we were not yelling or fighting with him at all.  My 7 yr old DD walks into the doorway to the L.R. and takes one look at us and loses her mind!

She started screaming the most terrified screams I have ever heard.  Loud, blood curdling screams.  She runs out on the sunroom and hides under a table.  She continues screaming and sobbing and she wouldn't swallow her spit so she was drooling everywhere and wouldn't  let anyone touch her.  She stays under there doing that for about an hour.  Finally she calms down and we go for a walk with my 17 yr old cousin.  She wouldn't let me touch her and she wouldn't wear her coat because I had touched it.  

We got back home and she refused to come inside the house.  I could tell she had to go to the bathroom and I thought she would pee herself so I just grabbed her and carried her in the bathroom.  she screamed the whole way because I was touching her.  Then she wouldn't come out of the bathroom and was crying and drooling still.

I called the nurse line and they said to take her to the E.R. so we did.  They had a nurse, the doctor, and a social worker talk to her.  she seemed a bit better and we made an appointment for a therapist on Monday morning.

What the heck happened???  She is still a little jumpy if I go to touch her but she will let me now.  She doesn't want to see my mom's dog at all.   She said the bone scared her and that I had touched the bone so she didn't want me to touch her.

What in the world is going on?  Isn't this a bit extreme???

by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 8:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hopeym23
by J3 on Nov. 16, 2013 at 8:46 PM

BUMP!

3lilmonsters88
by Carolina Sky on Nov. 16, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Its not extreme for a child with a mental disability...my son is scared if flip flops...Hopefully the therapist can help on Monday.
hopeym23
by J3 on Nov. 16, 2013 at 8:49 PM

I guess that is the thing.  She has not been diagnosed with anything yet.  Not officially so there is always a little question in my mind if she is "normal" or not.  I think this is extreme for "normal" kids.

Quoting 3lilmonsters88:

Its not extreme for a child with a mental disability...my son is scared if flip flops...Hopefully the therapist can help on Monday.

hopeym23
by J3 on Nov. 16, 2013 at 8:50 PM

BUMP!

tardistraveller
by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 8:52 PM

wow, I'm sorry :(

hopeym23
by J3 on Nov. 16, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Thank you.  I just am at a loss.

Quoting tardistraveller:

tardistraveller
by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 8:54 PM

I wish I had something to offer :(

ds is autistic but has never done anything like that.  I hope you find answers

Quoting hopeym23:

Quoting tardistraveller:

Panditacjp
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Wow, I'm so sorry! HOpe you get some answers. .  it's bizzare that she would have high functioning autism that displays so suddenly. :-(

hopeym23
by J3 on Nov. 16, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Thank you.

Quoting tardistraveller:

I wish I had something to offer :(

ds is autistic but has never done anything like that.  I hope you find answers

Quoting hopeym23:

Quoting tardistraveller:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 16, 2013 at 8:56 PM
It sounds like a meltdown (not to be confused with tantrum). Was she able to tell you why touching the bone bothered her?

I hope your appointment gets you some answers. ((Hugs))
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)