Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How do you deal with strangers talking to your kids?

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:15 AM
  • 13 Replies

Every time I go out with my son someone will comment on how cute he is or start talking to him. He's under 1, and I understand people like babies and I'm fine with it. What bothers me are the people who try to touch him.

Today I braved the trashy crowds of my local Walmart to buy something I couldn't find at Target. (Are all Walmarts like this?) My son was sitting in the cart when I turned into an aisle that an elderly couple was walking through. The crazy looking lady said he was cute, I said thanks, and then she stepped forwards and PUT HER HANDS ON THE CART RIGHT NEXT TO MY SON. I would have yanked the cart, but my son was in it. I curtly told her we were in a hurry, gave a dirty look to her hands, then kept going.

I try to be nice, but my number one priority is to keep my son safe and I don't even know why I try anymore. How do you guys deal with strangers who are TOO friendly with your kids?

by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Fatal_Frost
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:18 AM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't care... she didn't actually touch your kid... I make small talk with strangers all the time... my kids know not to go anywhere with a stranger BUT they also know to be polite and that they're allowed to interact while either myself or dh are nearby
jenny3344
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:21 AM
As you said its our job as moms to protect our kids. I would just nicely tell the stranger that I would appreciate it if they didn't touch my child. Sometimes you have to be assertive and speak your mind.
aiden032809
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:21 AM
I keep my answers short and say "come on (my sons name) we gotta go" my bf on the other hand is a talker also but I keep my guard up I'm the same way and don't like people talking to my kid. I have no problem just walking away lol
Elayna90
by Gold Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:25 AM
I generally shift myself between people and my kids. I am ok with people who talk to me and my kids but I am not ok with people who dorectly approach ny kods or try to touch them.
I have eased up some with my older two especially since one of them is very social, but they know better than to go with strangers and they are usually right my side.
The only time I had a problem was when my oldest was a baby and a waitress at the restaurant we were eating at picked him up out of his seat without saying a word to me. She was a distant aquaintance of my husband and only knew me by sight. But I guess that made it ok in her eyes.
nocalmegan
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:25 AM
Old people always come up and touch the girls. I don't know it doesn't really bother me. It's usually a very sweet old lady and they usually tickle Lexi's toes or put their hand on Callie's back. I've never had an iffy looking person try to talk to them so maybe that's why it hasn't bothered me.
cybcm
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:27 AM
1 mom liked this

It bothered me with my first, by the time I got to my fifth I barely even noticed if someone was talking to him.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:34 AM

I watch carefully and ask them nicely not to touch her at this age or younger.  By toddler age she was cruising an airplane while in flight with the flight attendant LOL  She is in elem. school now so we still keep a watchful eye since she is not aware of personal bubbles and that annoys some people.

JamieBue38
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:37 AM
Ranom people love my DD. She's a baby too and I understand people are just trying to be sweet. I can't give you much help as she loves the attention. I am usually more terrified of little kids around her. She has been punched by a 3yo already :(
agrisham13mom
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:45 AM
Well I haven't had too many people touch my kids but the few that I have it didn't bother me. They were usually older ladies that talked about their grand babies or people I seen around before. They would just pat their head if they were older or touch their hand and smile while engaging in conversation. If it was someone who sit off a bad vibe or someone who tried to touch them in a way I didn't like I would prevent/stop it immediately. You can protect your children how you see fit if you don't like people touching them the nicely and assertively say that. There is no need for rude comments or dirty looks.
P.V.Hawkwind
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:47 AM

Quoting Fatal_Frost:

I wouldn't care... she didn't actually touch your kid... I make small talk with strangers all the time... my kids know not to go anywhere with a stranger BUT they also know to be polite and that they're allowed to interact while either myself or dh are nearby

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN