Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Adults should have a breeding limit

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

It is reported that the UK government-sponsored Sustainable Development Commission believes that curbing people‚Äôs right to reproduce should be central to the fight against global warming (1).  Jonathon Porritt, who chairs the commission and is also a patron of the Malthusian campaigning group the Optimum Population Trust, wants to turn population control into the key objective of environmental campaigning. So the totalitarian impulse towards controlling people‚Äôs reproductive lives has now received the blessing of sections of the British political elite.

Porritt’s estrangement from the newborn puts him in the company of a growing band of dreary misanthropists. King Herod’s fear of the newborn was confined to one baby. Today’s misanthropic fear-merchants have a wider target. One Australian professor of obstetric medicine, Barry Walters, believes that the very survival of the planet demands stringent controls on the number of children parents can have. This is what he has to say:

‚ÄėAnthropogenic greenhouse gases constitute the largest source of pollution, with by far the greatest contribution from humans in the developed world. Every newborn baby in Australia represents a potent source of greenhouse gas emissions for an average of 80 years, not simply by breathing, but by the profligate consumption of resources typical of our society. What then should we do as environmentally responsible medical practitioners? We should point out the consequences to all who fail to see them, including, if necessary, the ministers for health. Far from showering financial booty on new mothers and thereby rewarding greenhouse-unfriendly behaviour, a ‚ÄúBaby Levy‚ÄĚ in the form of a carbon tax should apply, in line with the ‚Äúpolluter pays‚ÄĚ principle.‚Äô (2)

Throughout history, different cultures have celebrated birth as a unique moment signifying the joy of life. The reinterpretation of birth as a form of ‚Äėgreenhouse-unfriendly behaviour‚Äô speaks to today‚Äôs degraded imagination, where carbon-reduction becomes the supreme moral imperative. Once every newborn baby is dehumanised in this way, represented as a professional polluter who is a ‚Äėpotent source of greenhouse gas emissions‚Äô, then it becomes increasingly difficult to feel anything other than apprehension about the growth of the human race.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 17, 2013 at 3:57 AM
Replies (21-30):
Ms_mom_81
by Gold Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this

so you have 15 children in the hopes that one makes something of themselves? I am sorry, but their is absolutely no need to have a ton of children.

Quoting jen2150:

Actually it means everything. Land is life. Have you ever heard of dry land farming? Deserts that we know today weren't always deserts. N0 one has the right to tell you how many kids you should raise. Where are you located?

Children are a blessing. What if Einstein's mother would have been worried about over population? That one decision could caused the US to lose the war. You never what great things one child will be able to accomplish. We need to use our resources wisely but that doesn't mean we should limit our greatest resource. Our children are the greatest resource we can ever have.

Quoting GaleJ:

You maintain that overpopulation is not a problem and question my knowledge of the subject. The fact that land is available means nothing! Ask those that had land in the thirties and watched their topsoil blow half way across the continent for lack of rain. Ask those who today, right here in America, are suffering from prolonged drought.

RESOURCES ARE FINITE and we, in our lifetimes may see what happens when too many people are competing for too few resources. If we don't our children certainly will. Add in to this rather devastating equation the fact that climate change will have a huge impact and the realities are clear. You may be able to "afford" X number of children but unless you want those children to suffer the effects of overpopulation you had best hope that others are not so blind to the real issues.

Quoting jen2150:

If we have too many people please explain why I can live on 40 acres by myself. People that go hungry is more of a fact of government control. You really need to educate yourself. This is not the first time this idea has come up. People should always have the freedom to have as many kids as they can afford. I personally have two kids because it is what I can afford. Others are able to afford more. The important part is not how many kids you have but raising responsible adults that will benefit society.

Quoting GaleJ:

WE HAVE TOO MANY PEOPLE AND NOT ENOUGH RESOURCES!!! It really is that simple and America uses resources and produces garbage completely out of proportion to our population. There can be reasonable and voluntary population control now or great suffering down the line, to deny that is to condemn the generations that follow us.

Quoting jen2150:

The planet is not over populated. Cities but not the planet. No one has a right to tell you how many kids you should have. The UK governmwnt is a highly intrusive government and their citizens have few rights. So glad my country's fore fathers saw them for what they were. Population control has nothing to do with resources. It is just another way of exerting control.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 17, 2013 at 11:31 AM
3 moms liked this

This planet is horrifically overpopulated yet only on this site are women told their only purpose is to be breeding machines and have as many children as they want, forget about being able to afford them. 

TheDoctorsWife
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 11:31 AM
2 moms liked this
Isn't this what women have fought against?
Momof5kids84
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this
The Earth goes through natural cycles. How many kids that we CHOOSE to have is none of anyone's business. Plus, it's not the problem. The real issue is getting people to realize that Earth supports life, and that we should work to protect it and it's resources. Stop trying to spread unfounded lies to people. The Inconvenient Truth really hurt the conservationists efforts. Most of all, stop being a hypocrite. If you believe in caring for the Earth, live like you care.
ame85
by Chemistry cat on Nov. 17, 2013 at 11:34 AM
4 moms liked this

Pffft 

The planet will survive long after humans die out.  The earth goes through warming and cooling cycles every 10,000 years, and I have yet to see compelling evidence showing that we are infact experiencing a warming trend that is explicitly the result of humans.  

Momof5kids84
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this
It's none of your damn business if someone decides to have 15 kids or 2. Stick to your own life. Worry about your family. My family doesn't need or want your help.

Quoting Ms_mom_81:

so you have 15 children in the hopes that one makes something of themselves? I am sorry, but their is absolutely no need to have a ton of children.

Quoting jen2150:

Actually it means everything. Land is life. Have you ever heard of dry land farming? Deserts that we know today weren't always deserts. N0 one has the right to tell you how many kids you should raise. Where are you located?

Children are a blessing. What if Einstein's mother would have been worried about over population? That one decision could caused the US to lose the war. You never what great things one child will be able to accomplish. We need to use our resources wisely but that doesn't mean we should limit our greatest resource. Our children are the greatest resource we can ever have.

Quoting GaleJ:

You maintain that overpopulation is not a problem and question my knowledge of the subject. The fact that land is available means nothing! Ask those that had land in the thirties and watched their topsoil blow half way across the continent for lack of rain. Ask those who today, right here in America, are suffering from prolonged drought.

RESOURCES ARE FINITE and we, in our lifetimes may see what happens when too many people are competing for too few resources. If we don't our children certainly will. Add in to this rather devastating equation the fact that climate change will have a huge impact and the realities are clear. You may be able to "afford" X number of children but unless you want those children to suffer the effects of overpopulation you had best hope that others are not so blind to the real issues.

Quoting jen2150:

If we have too many people please explain why I can live on 40 acres by myself. People that go hungry is more of a fact of government control. You really need to educate yourself. This is not the first time this idea has come up. People should always have the freedom to have as many kids as they can afford. I personally have two kids because it is what I can afford. Others are able to afford more. The important part is not how many kids you have but raising responsible adults that will benefit society.

Quoting GaleJ:

WE HAVE TOO MANY PEOPLE AND NOT ENOUGH RESOURCES!!! It really is that simple and America uses resources and produces garbage completely out of proportion to our population. There can be reasonable and voluntary population control now or great suffering down the line, to deny that is to condemn the generations that follow us.

Quoting jen2150:

The planet is not over populated. Cities but not the planet. No one has a right to tell you how many kids you should have. The UK governmwnt is a highly intrusive government and their citizens have few rights. So glad my country's fore fathers saw them for what they were. Population control has nothing to do with resources. It is just another way of exerting control.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 17, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Because its worked so well for china....
jen2150
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this
That is not what I said. Let every family decide for themselves. Children are not a blight. Some will have more children and some will have less. We never know what great things our children will accomplish.

Food for thought: http://www.realclearscience.com/articles/2011/07/20/the_world_is_not_overpopulated_106247.html

Quoting Ms_mom_81:

Quoting jen2150:

Quoting GaleJ:

Quoting jen2150:

Quoting GaleJ:

Quoting jen2150:

Momof5kids84
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this
So, because I have 6 kids that automatically means that I can't afford them? Lol

This site does not support the notion that women are breeding machines. It's a place that offers support for mothers. In fact, most of the posts and groups here promote women's rights and free thinking.

Quoting Anonymous:

This planet is horrifically overpopulated yet only on this site are women told their only purpose is to be breeding machines and have as many children as they want, forget about being able to afford them. 

Cymbeline
by Gold Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 11:39 AM

The issue is not the number of people.

The issue lies in the way we live as a species. We could easily have far more humans, and be absolutely fine. That, however, is only possible, is if we live as we did in the 1500s.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)