Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

do moms really do this? er visits...ugh

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 10:50 AM
  • 143 Replies
In my moms group a lady said her child who's been sick for a few days with congestion and cough has a headache and a fever...of 101. All kinds of women were saying get that kid (4 yrs old) to the ER now!!! Like he's gonna die of a slight fever or something. And saying he might have meningitis. Um...I've known two people with viral meningitis and she wouldn't be asking opinions online if he had it.

She took him bc it got to 102 *gasp* and they checked him and told her to give some ibuprofen instead of tylenol. Duh.

She asked them about meningitis and they said he's not in pain, he's not throwing up, he's conherent, he's fine. She seemed surprised they didn't want to keep him.

Do YOU do this for a normal kid with a fever? Really?
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angevil53
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Really people
angevil53
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 10:51 AM
Tax dollars at work
angevil53
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this
This is why i think every er visit should have a copay
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 10:52 AM
2 moms liked this
I wouldn't take a kid to the er for that. Fever isn't necessarily a bad thing. If I was concerned, I would call the pedi. I couldn't imagine spending time in the er for a fever
alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 10:52 AM
2 moms liked this

We don't even treat a fever under 102.5, we don't go into the doctor unless the fever is 103 and won't go down after meds are given or if they aren't able to hold down fluids and are becoming dehydrated.

Smokeygirl
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Nope. I wouldn't do it. I'd call my dad (an RN) and the doctors office for advice. Maybe schedule a doctors appointment if it's been a few days or he's uncomfortable. But er for a low grade fever, no way.
cntrdmom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 10:53 AM
A bit extreme. Fear can do that to people though.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 17, 2013 at 10:54 AM
2 moms liked this
I work in the ER and, and yes, this is very common. They are also quick to accuse us of being stupid if we don't agree with their ignorant opinions.
Foolynroo2
by Emerald Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes they do, and that's why they spend hours waiting , and the health care system is in the shitter because big surprise most don't have $$ to pay either.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 17, 2013 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow....and no, I can handle a cold/flu at home. The only time it gets to the point of ER, is when breathing difficulties (not congestion) arise and the meds do not help.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)