Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm curious, if you are married and don't have a joint checking account. Why?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 75 Replies
I have been married for a very very long time and from day one we have had a joint checking account. Even when I was a SAHM for 16ish years. Now that I am working we still have a joint account. Everything has always been ours, not his or hers. So why do you have separate accounts?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 17, 2013 at 11:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bknotnobody
by Gold Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 11:52 AM
2 moms liked this
It's better for us that way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rockabella
by Gold Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 11:53 AM
I don't work so none of the money is mine I would feel guilty using his money
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 17, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I don't even have an account with my name on it. It's all in his name but makes no difference what so ever.

Arib107
by Gold Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 11:53 AM
I do.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 17, 2013 at 11:54 AM

I would assume that it's easier to keep track of all the money that way. I guess it works for some... even before we were married me and dh had joint accounts

Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 11:54 AM

We had a joint account, but wound up getting wires crossed and overdrawing it.  We find it's much better for us to keep a joint account that is only added to for bill paying, and both of us maintain a separate account.  He's got his money, I've got mine.  

Anonymous

My parents don't, but I don't know why. Mom pays some of the bills, Dad pays others (he pays the mortgage and his car and the gas, I think. She pays everything else).

It has worked for them for 34 years, and I never really thought about it until I got married. We have a joint and each have a separate checking, too. I kind of like just having some money that I can spend and not be accountable for. lol

Anonymous
I don't work and if I was on his account the bill collectors could take money for my medical bills
Anonymous

Because all his money goes to his ex and all my money goes to student loans.

whitleypittman
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 11:55 AM
I'm horrible with money, so it's just easier to save money if I'm not on the account.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured