Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My 6 year old will see 12 Years a Slave

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:14 PM
  • 42 Replies
1 mom liked this

My six year old son has been wanting to see 12 Years a Slave. He did a report on Soloman Northup for school and has been asking since he first heard about the movie being made. My husband and I decided to see it first, hearing that it was very graphic, and after seeing it in the theater last night, we decided he could watch it when it was out on video. It is very graphic and I will skip over parts that I do not think he should see. Some people say that I am irresponsible for it, but the way that I see it is it is my responsibility to educate my children on the facts of history. If six year old children lived through history, my six year old child can at least learn about it. 

by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:16 PM
I have been wanting to see this film.
lenashark
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:24 PM

It is extremely good. Probably the most accurate depiction of slavery ever made on film. But part of that is not hiding any of the gorey details and having viewers watch them head on, so it is very graphic

Quoting Anonymous:

I have been wanting to see this film.

Jammin.
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:25 PM
Wooooo! Way to be radical!
lenashark
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:31 PM

I don't really see it as radical, but if thats what it is, so be it. 

Quoting Jammin.:

Wooooo! Way to be radical!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:33 PM
I think its a little young for him, of course its your child and you do what you please but IMO I think that is a little too young.
Maybe at preteen age but no younger than 10. That is just too much for their brains to handle, it might scare them.
kaysha
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Good for you. Education is being sought and you are willing to help your child learn.
lenashark
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:37 PM

He knows about slavery and has seen pictures and such before, as I said before he researched Northup for a project, so he isn't going in blind. All kids are different, I know that he is able to understand and handle it, otherwise I wouldn't let him watch, and I am skipping over scenes that he wouldn't be able to handle. As for being scared, I honestly would be worried if anyone wasn't a little shaken up after watching that movie at any age. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I think its a little young for him, of course its your child and you do what you please but IMO I think that is a little too young.
Maybe at preteen age but no younger than 10. That is just too much for their brains to handle, it might scare them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:40 PM
Quoting lenashark:

He knows about slavery and has seen pictures and such before, as I said before he researched Northup for a project, so he isn't going in blind. All kids are different, I know that he is able to understand and handle it, otherwise I wouldn't let him watch, and I am skipping over scenes that he wouldn't be able to handle. As for being scared, I honestly would be worried if anyone wasn't a little shaken up after watching that movie at any age. 

Quoting Anonymous:I think its a little young for him, of course its your child and you do what you please but IMO I think that is a little too young.

Like I said its your kid. \
I think that its way to young to be introduced to something so terrible and horrid such as slavery. are you planning on letting him research WW2 and the slavery and camps then had then as well?
MelanieMans
by Sapphire Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:40 PM
So? My son is 2 and watching horror movies, just like mommy did when she was little
PEEPkiller
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:43 PM

If my kids wanted to see it I would screen it for them first, but I would allow them to watch it for its Historical value. I want them to know about History at a young age and develop a love for it, because my dad did the same for me and I appreciate him for that. Some parts of History are not fluffy or pretty, but the harsh reality of how things were long before we were ever around. I want them to get a grasp on how far we have come, and how much farther we still have to go. I've already taught them about the Holocaust, as well as the big race riot that happened here in our city in 1921. I give them the facts in the most age appropriate ways I can think of, but sometimes I just can't put it into words that would have enough gravity, so I sometimes turn to movies or documentaries.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)