Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Being fat is like a disability....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 51 Replies

I work with a woman who is probably 300+ lbs... I am a bad guesser at that type of thing but she is definitely in the morbidly obese category. 

When we work together at our preschool she never has issues that interfere with the job so I just didn't realise how being big can seem like a disability. Then last week we took the children to the pumpkin patch and there were so many things she couldn't do because of her weight.

She had to go outside of the hay maze and walk around the building to the other exit because inside the maze children couldn't get around her, she took up the whole aisle. Then at the pony rides each adult took turns riding a horse but she insisted that she just didn't like horses. Then one of the staff that worked there pointed out that she was too heavy to ride and I think everyone mentally cringed at his lack of tact, but my coworker did handle it very well and joked it off like it was no big deal. Then they had a small roller coaster that goes around in a circle and seats around 10 and they asked a staff member to ride in front and she made a big deal about how someone should stand at the gate and volunteered herself. I wondered if it was because she was afraid of breaking the ride or not being able to fit inside the cart. 

Afterwards all of the staff got treated to lunch by our director and we got seated at a booth and she requested a chair on the end, even though there was plenty of booth space. She obviously was afraid of not fitting or something like that. She got very red in the face and I felt bad for her.

I just can't understand how you can let yourself get THAT fat. I mean, I know the reasons why people get fat to begin with but you don't gain that kind of weight overnight. You would think after 100lbs or so she would go "woah" and stop herself. She still doesn't appear to be doing anything about it. I could never live with being so obese that it prevented me from doing things in daily life. She is so obese it's almost like having a disability and it's completely in her control to change it. Sad. I would rather die than live a life like that.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bubbie0809
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:35 PM
2 moms liked this

Sometimes the weight feels like it sneaks up on you. Then it is not the easiest thing to lose and sometimes it feels like you are working in circles. 

If food is used as comfort, then there are times where when you feel bad about anything that is what you turn to. 

There are so many reasons why weight isn't such a cut and dried issue that people think.  

It takes hard work and discipline, which if one had that, the weight wouldn't have gotten out of control to start with. 

FelineTopic
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this
That stuff sneaks up on you. I know this from experience. While I didn't get that huge, it took time to change the habits that got me there. And the weight doesn't always come off as fast as I would like.

It is sad that she is so limited in what she can do because of her weight. But look on the positive, maybe this was a wake up call for change.

So far, I've lost 65 lbs, but it has taken me two years, and I still have a ways to go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
teal_phoenix
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:44 PM

That is sad. The other posters are right. It does sneak up on you.

I have never been that heavy. My biggest has been maybe 240(so honestly, pretty big still). Right now, I am 202 lbs. I was 226-228. I didn't lose it because I worked hard at it. I had my tonsils removed. Now that I've lost that much, I feel really good. I want to do something more about my weight when I feel much better and can eat better. I could easily slip into bad habits but why would I want to? I don't want to heavier than I am.

Amybelle
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:45 PM
2 moms liked this

you don't know her circumstances & you're making a lot of assumptions

markswife03
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:46 PM
I know what you mean. Sure, it's easy to put on a little extra weight, but why do people allow a little to become a lot? Why not do something before it gets out of control?

One guess I've made is that people have an all or nothing attitude towards eating. It's either all crap in excessive amounts or a really restrictive diet that backfires, causing them to starve and be more likely to go back to their old ways.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:47 PM
That would suck. I could never live like that and I feel sorry for her. Even if she does something to fix it, it's not going to change anything right away. That's tough. Like being a prisoner in your own body.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I am not quite that overweight. but close to it. I am about 280lbs and it has prevented me from doing things like that. I can still fit into booths and ride roller coasters and that. I hate being overweight. but the reason I am overweight is because I am depressed. I have struggled with depression all my life. its an effort to do things. and its a struggle to just get out of bed somedays. it has affected my self esteem. it has affected my self motivation. my self control. its horrible. I know I am overweight. I know I need to lose weight. but I just don't have the strength to do anything about it. my guess is a lot of overweight people have the same problem.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Exactly. And I know people are saying it sneaks up on you... I feel like, getting obese may sneak up on you but morbidly obese is another thing. It's not like I have personally never been overweight so I can understand how it happens but to be THAT big doesn't just happen. I think she has just given up. I would offer to help her but I'm not sure how accepted it would be. I'm afraid I would only offend her by doing so.

Quoting Anonymous:

That would suck. I could never live like that and I feel sorry for her. Even if she does something to fix it, it's not going to change anything right away. That's tough. Like being a prisoner in your own body.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:50 PM
3 moms liked this

There is so much wrong with your thought process it's not even funny.  You sound very immature. 

tardiskitty
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:50 PM
1 mom liked this
This happens to people because it happens slowly. Did you ever gain 5lbs and think I should probably do something about it but it's just 5lbs. People don't gain 100lbs in a month, it's usually a slow 5 lbs here and there. This is the reason that if I even gain 5 lbs I work to lose it because otherwise it can snowball. Few people make a big deal about 5 lbs but it adds up. Just like with money a cup of coffee, and some breakfast only cost about $5 BUT if you do it all the time by the end of the month you wonder where all your money went.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)