Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you allow your kids a mental health day from school? **UPDATE**

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 7:21 AM
  • 442 Replies
24 moms liked this

I am allowing my 12dd yr old to stay home from school today and hang out with me and my mom. My mom had a stroke last week and my dd stayed with her all weekend to make sure she was taken care of while I worked (new job could not take off). She got her meds ready for the week, made sure my mom ate all her meals, crushed her meds and put in apple sauce so she could take them, walked her dog, walked my mom in her walker to help stengthen her legs etc. I am taking my mom out for the day and i am allowing my dd to tag along with us, called the school to have her schoolwork for the day waiting in the office and will swing by to get it later. So its a girls day out today:)

Edit:

For those who responded about me making my dd in charge of my mom, umm no I did not. My mom was sent home with no care, just therapy 2 days a week and shower care 1 day a week. She got out Friday evening, stayed alone for the night, using her walker and was pretty much okay, she just is not too steady, we got her depends for the incontinence and microwaveable meals etc. we live in the same complex, we live in a townhouse and my mom in the back building which is for the elderly and disabled (income based). My kids go over there daily, walk the dog, visit my mom etc. My dd just wanted to stay and she mothered my mom, she just wanted to. My mom always spoiled my dd and they are very close. She chose to stay and help, I never even asked her. We are moving my mom to her sister in February and my dd is insisting staying every weekend with my mom until she leaves. My dd is very mature for her age, I think it comes with being the younger sibling of an extremely mentally ill brother. She just does not think like a normal 12 yr old and family is her top priority. We got her work from school this afternoon, its done already, she did it in the car while were driving around, using her Ipod to look up the lesson plan her teachers used today. When I went to the school to get her work, I spoke with her AP and GC and both agreed that she deserved it. They also admitted to allowing their kids to have "me" days once in while, both have straight A students in HS now. She had fun just tagging along and knows it will not happen again this year. She would not take another day off even if I wanted her to anyway, she loves school, since all of her friends live in the country she really only sees them at school or bday parties. 

Many of you may not agree, but for my dd i did what I felt as her mother was a good thing. She lost no class time since she was able to access her school work via internet, all of her teachers have a website. We had a blast, and she is now playing UNO with her little brother. She is awesome!!1

by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 7:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
waytomanykids10
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 7:25 AM
7 moms liked this

We homeschool  and yes there are times we don't do school just because the kids need some down time. We had a crappy weekend so today is going to be a do nothing day.

2and2onway
by Kimmie on Nov. 18, 2013 at 7:26 AM
1 mom liked this

when we homeschooled we took mental health trips lol I belonged ot all the local area activities lol

Quoting waytomanykids10:

We homeschool  and yes there are times we don't do school just because the kids need some down time. We had a scrappy weekend so today is going to be a do nothing day.

disneymom2two
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 7:28 AM
2 moms liked this

No, we don't tend to do mental health days.  I've taken my son out of school to go to China but just to hang out for the day - no.

waytomanykids10
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 7:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Lol yep, us to. Lol dang auto correct changed the  word crappy to scrappy.

Quoting 2and2onway:

when we homeschooled we took mental health trips lol I belonged ot all the local area activities lol

Quoting waytomanykids10:

We homeschool  and yes there are times we don't do school just because the kids need some down time. We had a scrappy weekend so today is going to be a do nothing day.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2013 at 7:29 AM
8 moms liked this

My kids are allowed one mental health day a term.  Sometimes they take it, sometimes they don't.  But it enables them to just say, "mom, I need a day off".

2and2onway
by Kimmie on Nov. 18, 2013 at 7:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow that is awesome, China!!! I am also allowing her to take off in February 3rd and 4th to help me fly my mom and her dog from IN to Vegas to live with her sister who is a nurse.

Quoting disneymom2two:

No, we don't tend to do mental health days.  I've taken my son out of school to go to China but just to hang out for the day - no.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2013 at 7:30 AM
2 moms liked this

We homeschool, but if my kids were in school for sure I'd let them do it if they needed to.  When they were in school at a younger age I always let them stay home on their birthdays.

2and2onway
by Kimmie on Nov. 18, 2013 at 7:31 AM
1 mom liked this

She would never ask, I cuddled with her this morning and offered it to her. We never did it before lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

My kids are allowed one mental health day a term.  Sometimes they take it, sometimes they don't.  But it enables them to just say, "mom, I need a day off".

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2013 at 7:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Yep. I don't think it does anything bad. I've even heard  my daughter's teacher tell another child to stay home for the next day (friday) because she'd had a hard week and NEEDED that break.

SageAdvice
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 7:32 AM

The few that went to school in a brick and mortar building, I did, Yep, it's good for them, from time to time. Those homeschooling well we always had fun days scheduled in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured