Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Glad I vaccinated - ETA The Health Dept. just called...

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:21 AM
  • 187 Replies
3 moms liked this

ETA: The freaking county health department just called and interrogated me, trying to figure out how the hell he caught this, lol. I was like, well, he goes to school... they said that they usually look at people who the patient would have had two hours of face to face contact with... outside of me, DH, and his brothers, it only could have been someone at school, since he hasn't had exposure to anyone else outside of school for anywhere near long enough. They are calling the school as well to try and trace down the source... I feel like this is getting very serious :/

I took DS11 to the pediatrician on Friday because he's had a persistent cough for a week or so. We got a call back from the registered nurse yesterday telling us that he has pertussis! I was very surprised to hear he had it, considering he is up to date on his vaccinations. Fortunately, though, because he is, he has a very mild case. He's a bit uncomfortable, but he'll be fine. Since this weekend, both of his younger brothers (DS6 and DS7) have also started exhibiting symptoms, and DS7 has been vomiting. I'm trying to hopefully get them to the pediatrician today to get them tested as well.

DS11 has to miss an entire week of school while he completes his round of antibiotics, and so will younger DS'es, if they have it as well. This sucks, because the school is anal as fuck about the kids missing school - they gave me shit on Friday about taking all three out for the dr. appointment... an hour before school ends :/ 

Anyways, I am annoyed that they even caught this, but I'm glad they are vaccinated and will not be too seriously affected. I DO feel bad because this is apparently going around their school - how many kids have younger siblings who may not be vaccinated yet?? The pharmacist says the CDC is stating that outbreaks are on the rise (not pointing any fingers, but I wonder why?). 

Has anyone else dealt with their child getting pertussis?

by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MsSpice
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:32 AM

I'm glad that you vaccinated too!  I hope that your boys make a speedy recovery.

Superlaura328
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks!! :) 

Quoting MsSpice:

I'm glad that you vaccinated too!  I hope that your boys make a speedy recovery.

katcb1019
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Awe poor kids!! I've heard that outbreaks are becoming more common as well. At least your children are somewhat protected.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:34 AM

I heard that having a milder case due to vaccines was a myth. I heard that you get it or you dont, the severity of the case doesnt have anything to do with vaccine status. I have no idea if this is true or not, Id love some imput on this!

myempyreofdirt
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:37 AM
I don't think we've had a lot of cases in my area lately, but we also have a pretty high vax rate. Most people here do it, and our immunization clinic has won some awards. I'm glad I chose to have my 10 month old vaccinated. He just had his first illness last week and it was only a minor stomach bug.
Superlaura328
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Well, this is the first time I've really had any experience with it, so my info might not be "all" of the info, lol... but both the registered nurse and the pharmacist said that having the vaccine does make the illness milder. He is coughing pretty badly, but there are other symptoms that are associated that he just doesn't have, like the vomiting and diarrhea, fever, etc. His brother does have the vomiting (however he hasn't been tested yet, so who knows if that's the same thing or something different, lol). 

Quoting Anonymous:

I heard that having a milder case due to vaccines was a myth. I heard that you get it or you dont, the severity of the case doesnt have anything to do with vaccine status. I have no idea if this is true or not, Id love some imput on this!

Superlaura328
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:44 AM

I'm glad you did, too!! That's my biggest concern - I know my kids are fine! But I know there are several kids in his class whose parents chose not to vax... and I know a lot of his classmates have very young siblings... I'm just very worried that one of them will bring it home and get the LO's sick :( 

Quoting myempyreofdirt:

I don't think we've had a lot of cases in my area lately, but we also have a pretty high vax rate. Most people here do it, and our immunization clinic has won some awards. I'm glad I chose to have my 10 month old vaccinated. He just had his first illness last week and it was only a minor stomach bug.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:45 AM

My neice died from pertusis when she was an infant...my ex SIL didnt vaccinated...

Superlaura328
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:47 AM

That is so terrible, I am sorry to hear that :( I was reading about how dangerous it is for infants and the numbers I was reading were absolutely frightening. 

Quoting Anonymous:

My neice died from pertusis when she was an infant...my ex SIL didnt vaccinated...

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:48 AM

she was just under a year old

Quoting Superlaura328:

That is so terrible, I am sorry to hear that :( I was reading about how dangerous it is for infants and the numbers I was reading were absolutely frightening. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)