Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Guinea Pig tutorial, anyone?

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 1:48 PM
  • 34 Replies

Dh talked me into a guinea pig yesterday. What do I need to know? His name is Louie. I wasn't all that fond of the idea, but last night while laying on dh's chest, he started whistling. Ok, that was pretty cute. Any help of any kind is appreciated. Yeah, I know, its not drama, no one is stealing or cheating or trying to take my kids away. Help me anyway.

UPDATE.On the advice of some of you, we went ahead and got a friend for Louie. His name is King Henry.(my kids are history  nerds) Thank you ladies for all your advice, we have made lists of all the things to remember, and you guys helped so much.

by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 1:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Leissaintexas
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 1:51 PM

BUMP!

Leissaintexas
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 1:52 PM

BUMP!

drowningmama
by vendetta on Nov. 18, 2013 at 1:54 PM

I have a bunny - is a bunny and guinea pigs similar - - I can tell you about bunny?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 18, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Make sure you have lots of chew toys and hard treats for them to grind their teeth down.  Otherwise you will end up with a piggy who cannot eat and have to either file them down, or find a vet who will.  They also cannot live outside in cold weather.  I know someone who was keeping one in their garage in the winter and it literally froze to death. Good quality food and lots of play time and grooming time (especially for long-haird piggies).  Also get vitamin supplements if your vet recommends.

Lawdhavemercy2
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 1:57 PM
Hay, plenty of timothy hay. Whenever it's gone put more in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
minnema
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 1:58 PM
They need their cage cleaned out fully at least once a week. I use vinegar and water when I clean to get rid of the odor. If you can spot clean it daily that's great! I also give mine a few baby carrots daily. They help on keeping their teeth short. Guinea pigs teeth keep growing and it is important to keep them from growing out of control. They NEED attention daily. I didn't want one either and the hubby brought one home. :)
Leissaintexas
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 1:58 PM

I've had bunnies, too. So far, the piggy is way more friendly than a bunny. I've googled them and got a lot of info, just wondering if there was any real life experience I should learn from.  Thanks, though!

Quoting drowningmama:

I have a bunny - is a bunny and guinea pigs similar - - I can tell you about bunny?

Neko_Nightstar
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I have two of them and I have had many since childhood. They are very sweet animals but I would suggest buying a book on care. If you talk to them, they will "talk" back. It's not whistling. They're squeaking.

I cannot stress this enough. VITAMIN C! Get the drops to put in their water and feed them food rich in vitamin C. You do not want them to get scurvy. That is a very slow and painful death. I had one die of scurvy not long ago. It was pitiful. Romaine lettuce, broccoli, spinach, or tomatoes are high in Vitamin C. They also love cucumbers, carrots, apples, grapes, snow peas (the whole pod), green beans, and strawberries. The guinea pig food in the store does not provide them with the vitamin C they need, even if it says "vitamin C" on the bag. The vitamin C breaks down and is 50% gone after 24 hours. No iceberg lettuce or celery. They are mostly water and have no nutritional value and they will give them diarrhea. Keep them supplied with alfalfa hay.

They need to chew or their teeth get to long and that causes diseases. Their cages need to be cleaned at least once a week. I prefer the paper bedding. DO NOT PUT THE CAGE ON THE FLOOR! Do not house the guinea pig in a drafty room. They get sick easy and the floor is too cold. Give them fresh water every couple of days, even if there is still water in the bottle. Check for mold in the bottle, the lid and under the rubber seal. Every once in a while, just soak the bottle, lid, and seal in diluted bleach and make sure you rinse it very well and let it air dry for a long time, then rinse and air dry again, to make sure the bleach is completely evaporated. Keep their nails trimmed as needed.

They like attention and affection and they are very sweet and cuddly animals. Hand feeding is a great way to tame them. Teach them their names and they will squeak when you call them. They also do great in pairs but make sure you can handle one before you try to get another.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:38 PM
Get them earlier in the year. That gives you more time to fatten them up to eat for the holidays.
Neko_Nightstar
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I used to have bunnies too and my bunnies were very affectionate, especially the male (I accidentally got a male and a female. Luckily I didn't have a cage big enough for both of them so they were already seperated). My rabbits even loved the dogs and would cuddle and play with them. The female was afraid of the cats but the male was always curious of them.  The cats were never friendly with the bunnies. I did have one cat that was friendly with my guinea pig and they snuggled together until the pig bit her and then there was no more trust in the relationship. I wouldn't suggest introducing them to any other pets you have unless you know how that pet will respond and you watch them closely. My dogs love the guinea pigs.

Quoting Leissaintexas:

I've had bunnies, too. So far, the piggy is way more friendly than a bunny. I've googled them and got a lot of info, just wondering if there was any real life experience I should learn from.  Thanks, though!

Quoting drowningmama:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)