Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

DD17 is seeing a "taken" guy

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 36 Replies
DD has been acting like she's hiding something from me, so I started snooping around. DD wasnt home and forgot her cellphone. I started looking at her messages and found a guy on there. On her phone, if it's logged into facebook, the contact info from there will sink into her phone contact for that person, so I checked out his profile. He's 25 and works at the same place she does. I already didn't like his age, so I went back and checked the texts between them. They were inappropriate, she'd sent him some pictures, and then the bomb dropped for me...he sent her a text saying when his GIRLFRIEND moves out next week, she needs to come spend the night with him.

I took the phone and waited for her to come home. When she came in, I asked her to sit at the kitchen table with me. She saw her phone on the table and I asked if there was anything she wanted to tell me. She said no and I told her what I did. She threw a bitch fit and I told her I pay for her car, I pay for her cellphone, I pay for everything but if she's going to sneak around with some guy, she can start paying for it. She's been pissed at me since.

This is what happened to me last night. She told me they'd been "talking" since she turned 17 (legal age here) and that's been over 9 months. I don't want her to get hurt, especially since this is the only boyfriend she's ever had.

Should I continue with the making her pay for her things? I feel if she's going to disrespect my wishes, she can do it on her own dime.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JulyBabies
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:34 PM

One has nothing to do with the other in my opinion. Let her live and learn, it's the only way sometimes. 

Obviously if she was doing something dangerous, I would advise differently.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:42 PM

You're going way overboard in this situation. Of couse you do not want her to get hurt but you cannot protect her from everything. This is one of those things that you just need to let play out. She will learn from her mistakes if you let her make them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:42 PM
4 moms liked this

If she wants to play like the big girls, then she has to pay like the big girls.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:45 PM

way to trust your daughter, she asks wierd and the first thing you do is go through all personal texts?   awesome...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:45 PM

kids get the shit handed to them these days. I was 16 when I got a job, got me a car and a cell phone and I had to pay for all of it. and I'm only 24. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:45 PM

so if she was talking to a boy her age, would that make it any different? 

Quoting Anonymous:

If she wants to play like the big girls, then she has to pay like the big girls.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:46 PM

same here! i started working a few weeks after i turned 16, paid for my car, cell phone, clothes and even paid my mom 200 a month for rent.  i just turned 24 this month

Quoting Anonymous:

kids get the shit handed to them these days. I was 16 when I got a job, got me a car and a cell phone and I had to pay for all of it. and I'm only 24. 

Mom24munchkins
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:48 PM
Sounds like you handled it well imo
fairyjester
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:48 PM
6 moms liked this
Fuck yeah, its called parenting

Quoting Anonymous:

way to trust your daughter, she asks wierd and the first thing you do is go through all personal texts?   awesome...

fliptopz4
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I would sit her down and explain your fears to her if she really is as grown up as she thinks she is she will be willing to at least listen to you Explain to her that a grown man interested in a high school kid is a little creepy. What could they have in common? and its a known fact that older guys will spin a tale to hook a young inexperienced kid like her self. Don't yell or accuse just talk  and let her know that you are only looking out for her. Thats your job.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)