Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

2 jobs = bad mom

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:35 PM
  • 19 Replies

I am considering taking a second job and DH says it's all about me being away from our kids as much as possible. I am trying to tell him is so we can catch up and afford Christmas, and have a little cushion but all he sees is that he will " have to watch the kids" more while I am gone. Kids are 2 and 7 (2 teenagers also, but they aren't factors in his thinking).

The job would be part time in addition to my full time job. It would require 8 hours on Sundays and 4 on Wednesdays after my fulltime job. I wouldn't see the little kids at all on Wednesdays. I hate the thought of missing a full day with them, but we could use the money. I could earn almost his income with this part time job alone. I've thought about suggesting he quit his job, but I dont know how that will go over.

His position now is "take the job, everyone always fucks me over anyway". He is very woe is me about everything lately and I'm sure he is depressed. Its been a rough few years for him regarding work and I know it hurts him that I make more than he does. He wont talk to anyone and literally makes himself sick stressing out over it.

Should I take the job?

by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Yes, take it.   And make an appointment for him to see someone for his depression.  I would hate being around someone who is constantly begging for attention and whiny.  He needs to suck it up and shut up imo.

OR...how about he get a second job?  I bet he'd have none of that. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Take it and catch up on the bills. He's feeling emasculated and that's his personal issue. What you're trying to do will benefit the family. He'll just have to get over it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:48 PM
I wouldn't but that's just because we dont buy a lot on Xmas. My daughter gets a total of 3 gjftd under 300....I'd say pick our battles..if Christmas is about splirging for our family then go for it.
eSamsMama
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Its not about splurging, but we have 4 kids. Even at $200 a piece, that $800 we dont have lying around.

Quoting Anonymous:

I wouldn't but that's just because we dont buy a lot on Xmas. My daughter gets a total of 3 gjftd under 300....I'd say pick our battles..if Christmas is about splirging for our family then go for it.

eSamsMama
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:53 PM

We tried him getting a second job, but he works nights and being home during the day while I work means we dont have to pay for child care. He doesn't sleep until I get home as it is.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes, take it.   And make an appointment for him to see someone for his depression.  I would hate being around someone who is constantly begging for attention and whiny.  He needs to suck it up and shut up imo.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Then do it...if you know your answer then why are you asking us.

Birthdays in our house are usually bigger events then xmas ..but that's our house ....u have to do what's right for our family.

Quoting eSamsMama:

Its not about splurging, but we have 4 kids. Even at $200 a piece, that $800 we dont have lying around.

Quoting Anonymous:

lifeisajoy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Take it-

Benjamins-mama
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:55 PM

why would you suggest him quitting his job when you want EXTRA money? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:58 PM

I'm not sure what to tell you then, other than I'm sorry your husband isn't willing to do what it takes.

Wishing you the best with all this.

Quoting eSamsMama:

We tried him getting a second job, but he works nights and being home during the day while I work means we dont have to pay for child care. He doesn't sleep until I get home as it is.

Quoting Anonymous:

babyspots17
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 3:04 PM

If you need the money then it seems like a logical thing to do.  I did see though that your husband works nights and doesn't sleep until you get home so when would he sleep on the Wednesday that you work?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)