Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

perspective please???

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 4:34 PM
  • 45 Replies

mil gave my four yr old a rosary to wear around his neck. should i be mad? 

i am a little bit but i am trying to take the buddhist approach and embrace the part of me that it doesn't bother. its a rosary tho. jesus is on the cross with agony face and nails in the hands & feet. my kids too young to get the sentiment. aside from her he isnt exposed to religion. 

by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 4:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2013 at 4:35 PM
1 mom liked this

All kids should have religion in their lives.   She means well, so don't be mad.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2013 at 4:36 PM
3 moms liked this

eh let him wear it for the day, at bedtime, explain that from now on to keep it safe, you're keep it hung on his bedpost.  He probably will just leave it there, and then when grandma asks about it, he knows where it is , and its not lost.

stephiebugg
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 4:36 PM

I'd be mad. My MIL used to take my infant daughter to church. I'm not a church goer, nor is DH. He relayed the message to her that we didn't want her going, but she did it anyway. She stopped once my daughter started walking and wailing and being a typical toddler... It made no sense for her to take her to church if she was just going to the nursery.

suzanneyea
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 4:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Do not over react.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2013 at 4:37 PM
Tell her crosses are pagan?
SlightlyPerfect
by Babushka Blockparty on Nov. 18, 2013 at 4:37 PM

I'm an atheist. I would throw that thing out with tomorrow's garbage.

stephiebugg
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 4:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Although, I'd just downplay it here in this situation. Tell him it's a nice necklace and leave it at that. You don't need to get into the story behind it. It only has meaning if you give it meaning.

Caera
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 4:38 PM
2 moms liked this

A rosary doesn't mean anything if the person wearing/holding it doesn't attach any meaning to it. Don't worry about it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2013 at 4:39 PM
Id just let it go. It's not that big of a deal. It's healthy for children to be exposed to a variety of religions and cultures. I like the idea of being open and accepting of all religious beliefs
cleigh717
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 4:42 PM

I am not because we have crossed this road before. She gave him all these christian books he is too young for and childrens bibles she knew I would never read. She found it in the bottom of a bookcase behind the closed doors. I had to explain to her that I wasn't "hiding" them, I was  saving them for when he is old enough to understand them. and that i am athiest/buddhist. What did she think I was going to do? Maybe I should just donate them so a family who is religious will appreciate them. She knows how i feel but tries to expose him anyway. I didnt say anything about the rosary. My 18 month old took it from off the floor and hid it in a drawer after teething on it. I guess I don't know where it went. . .. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)