Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My babysitter wants paid maternity leave?!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 448 Replies

So my child's babysitter (in her house, not mine) wants me to not only pay her for holidays, but also provide her with a paid 2 weeks of maternity leave while she's out in march. I think this is totally unfair! I'm going to have to take off of work to watch my kids and she wants to get paid?!

Edit:

In response to repeated questions, she is not licensed and watches me kids along with two-three others. We do not have a written contract, but operate on a month to month basis. No written or signed terms of paid vacations or holidays.

Also, I have agreed to pay her a 50% rate for those two weeks in order to "keep the peace", but I am not particularly happy about it.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2013 at 6:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 18, 2013 at 6:41 PM
67 moms liked this

tell her to go  fuck her self

Metal13Mama
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 6:41 PM
3 moms liked this
Oh wow. Um, not happening dear lol...
momoftwogirl55
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 6:42 PM
3 moms liked this
I get the holiday thing, we have to pay daycare for holidays, but screw maternity leave.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 18, 2013 at 6:42 PM
I wouldn't have chosen your wording, but I know the feeling. I agreed tog be her one week because I like her and she takes good care of my kids, but I don't feel good about it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 18, 2013 at 6:42 PM
The way it works here in Alberta is mat leave is paid for by the govt. my dayhome lady is paid for stat holidays and any days I choose not to bring my son whether he is sick or has an appt. if she chooses to take time off either a sick day or a holiday then she does not get paid.
Melbornj
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 6:42 PM
2 moms liked this
Yeah that would be a no go for me, I would tell her to stick it where the sun doesn't shine, politely of course.
Okie-chick
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 6:42 PM
12 moms liked this
She deserves the maternity leave pay. It's just two weeks. Damn. If you can afford a nanny,you can afford the two week pay.
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Your nanny has lost her mind
Miranda1127
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 6:43 PM
12 moms liked this

those perks are usually disclosed upon employment. If you did not agree to them (which is customary w/a private 'small business' employer) upon hire than she is SOL.

Kyndall30
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Um, hell no to the maternity leave.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN