Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

cub scouting (ot and a vent)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies
Ok so I know this is kind of immature of me but I just can't help to feel annoyed. My son is a wolf scout and he has been in since he was a tiger. He and I work very hard to acheive his belt loops and pins or any other type of badge that he wants to earn. Some of these things have taken weeks for us to complete because I want him to do it properly and get the most out of it. This year a friend of mine had her son join the scouts. He is also a wolf and this is his first year. She constantly complains about how things are done in scouts. For instance, my son was chosen to be the color guard. Basically he gets to carry the Cub Scout Flag at this weeks pack meeting. My friend had a huge fit about it because it's not fair that her son wasn't chosen. Ok whatever I ignored her until she started being a jerk to my son about it. My son is proud of his acheivements because he works hard to do his best. He really loves the BSA program and excels in it. It annoys me to no end when she acts immature and childish because my son earns stuff. Another thing that annoys me is that I think she is cheating so her son earns belt loops and pins. She, for the whole month, kept talking about needing to something with her son so he'd earn something at the pack meet coming up. Well a day or so before the deadline to get the awards in; she was still talking about how she hadn't done anything with him yet. However 5 hours before the deadline her child magically ends up "earning" 4 belt loops, a pin, and the cyber badge. I know he earned the cyber badge because he and my son did it at my house. However the 4 belt loops and the pin' I'm not so sure of. Especially when a lot of these belt loops required a week or so of doing something everyday; like taking care of the pets for a week and then making a list of the tasks that you did to take care of them. I dunno... I know it shouldn't bother me because if they are cheating than atleast we aRe earning honestly so my son is getting more out of it than her son but I guess it annoys me because of all the time that I put into it to help my son succeed; not to mention the time that my son puts into it because he really wants to be all he can be. Sorry for typos and grammar errors. It's early here and I'm irritated
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
STVUstudent
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Her son is learning how to cheat the system.  Reality is, there is not much you can do if a parent is teaching the child to be dishonest.  You may want to speak to the den or pack leader, but you may come off as a drama parent who is busy poking her nose in what the other kids are doing.  The den or pack leader could talk to all the boys about doing their best, and being honest and honorable, and how a Boy Scout is honorable and if he says he did something, he really did it and to not let anyone lie for them... but that may not have any effect if this kid is being taught at home that all that matters is the recognition, not the journey...

Tread lightly.  I am a Daisy leader, and I have a couple of girls with parents like this... and it is ugly.

blue-heart
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:12 AM
I know your frustrations. My ods is a Webelos 2, been in scouting since he was a tiger. He works his butt off to earn all his awards. We had a parent that always turned in a ton of awards. But no one can say anything because "a scout is honest" so we have to take their word on it. There were some that I knew the child didn't actually do, but again "a scout is honest." It sucks.
momof6nokc
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:16 AM

There is a family in our troop that cheats as well.

I saw it with my own eyes. And I was FLABBERGASTED.

Cheating in Boy Scouts????  That's the exact opposite message that BSA teaches these boys for years on end.  The purpose of BSA is to help teach morals, servitude, hard work, honesty, integrity...and they CHEAT????  It astounds me.

"We should measure welfare's success by how many leave welfare, not by how many are added."

~Ronald Reagan~

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:19 AM
I usually do take people at their word but when she has been complaining and telling me that she hasn't done anything with him the whole time; it's a different story. We turn in a lot of awards as well; however, I homeschool and use some of the BSA stuff in my curriculum. So we are doing the stuff. Also some of mine seem fishy because last summer my MIL and FIL would take Aiden with them on outings where they canoed, hiked, etc... and I am just now finding out all the stuff that they actually did. For instance he earned the leave no trace aWard for his outings with his grandparents nad some stuff he did at summer camp. I had no idea that they helped him follow the guidelines until this morning. However, I will not cheat for him. He will earn them and it's tough when you know that someone is cheating for their kid.

Quoting blue-heart:

I know your frustrations. My ods is a Webelos 2, been in scouting since he was a tiger. He works his butt off to earn all his awards. We had a parent that always turned in a ton of awards. But no one can say anything because "a scout is honest" so we have to take their word on it. There were some that I knew the child didn't actually do, but again "a scout is honest." It sucks.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Aww...how sad that she is cheating her son out of the experience of learning what he's supposed to be learning in scouts. That's what I tell myself when that stuff happens in our pack. ;-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:30 AM
I'm trying to feel that way also. It's hard tho when you can see that she is balatantly cheating.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Aww...how sad that she is cheating her son out of the experience of learning what he's supposed to be learning in scouts. That's what I tell myself when that stuff happens in our pack. ;-)

colins_mom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:34 AM

I know how that goes. I am a den leader for my son (he is a tiger) and we had our ceremony last week. I had at least 3 kids that have gone to maybe one or two den meetings show up with a list of "Achievements" that they earned. a few of them I know they didn't because they were done as a den weeks ago. more than likely her son wont go very far in scouts. 

JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:52 AM

She is cheating. It is her own son that she is cheating.  When your son wears those belt loops and pins, they actually stand for something.  When her son wears them, it is no different than if she went down to the scout shop and bought a handful of loops and pins.  That's sad. 

Here's what I explained to my son once:  Your son is learning important life lessons in ways that are easy and fun.  The boys who don't do the work will have to learn these same life lessons, but usually as adults, and usually in ways that are not easy or fun, but painful and expensive.  That is worth more than 100 belt loops.  It's not about the belt loops and pins.  That other mom has completely missed the point of scouting, and it is her son who will ultimately pay that price.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm trying to feel that way also. It's hard tho when you can see that she is balatantly cheating.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 19, 2013 at 6:16 PM
Bump
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)