Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

School, Parents or Both?

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:31 AM
  • 33 Replies
Who's responsible for teaching our kids to be sexually responsible?
Has your child gone through an education program at school on sex prevention or safe sex practices?
Are you confident that what you've taught or will teach your child/ children will prevent sexual irresponsibility?

FTR- I am a firm believer that sexual responsibility starts with the parents. I did not allow my DD to participate in the entire sexual education program at her school. I thought some of the points they were attempting to make were ridiculous and unrealistic. Ie: sex before marriage breeds promiscuity. Chastity is best. And yes, this is a public school.

by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rust.n.Gears
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this
We are responsible as the parents
MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Parents with school as a suppliment to what's taught at home, to teach facts only. Not morals.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HandMmom12
by Jody on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Will your child participate in any school taught sex ed, or will you opt out?

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

Rust.n.Gears
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:37 AM
Ours doesn't offer it

Quoting HandMmom12:

Will your child participate in any school taught sex ed, or will you opt out?

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

missmeli77
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:42 AM
I do not allow my kids to take any form of sex ed at school..... They know to come to me if they have questions..... This way i can control whatever they are being taught...... It is also me and my dh responsability to teach them......
Sunshine257
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:59 AM
Parents are responsible. My parents didn't talk to me about sex so I learned from school. I am all for sex Ed but when it comes down to it I will be the one talking to my son. Of course my dh also. I don't know what age to do that though they are having sex younger now.
HandMmom12
by Jody on Nov. 19, 2013 at 11:02 AM
I agree. Chastity and promiscuity are both moral issues in my opinion. I opted my DD to not participate in that part of the unit.

Quoting MIA0223:

Parents with school as a suppliment to what's taught at home, to teach facts only. Not morals.
Schauseil
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 11:04 AM
I'm all for sex education at school, but the vast majority of the responsibility lies on the parents.
luvbugs3
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 11:05 AM

I think that should be a thing that parents are responsible for teaching their kids.  School can help by teaching anatamy and scientific information.  Parents should deal with the morals and consequences.

HandMmom12
by Jody on Nov. 19, 2013 at 11:05 AM
My DD started the program in 5th grade! They started with the girls and their reproduction system including menstruation.
I thought that was a fine start, although every time my daughter gets a cramp or a headache now, she thinks she's getting her period. My family has a history of being late bloomers.

Quoting Sunshine257:

Parents are responsible. My parents didn't talk to me about sex so I learned from school. I am all for sex Ed but when it comes down to it I will be the one talking to my son. Of course my dh also. I don't know what age to do that though they are having sex younger now.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN