Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Divorced parents or unhappy parents what's worse?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 248 Replies
I feel bad for the thought of getting divorced. I'm unhappy and I feel ignored by my husband. He cheated about a year and a half ago and I've tried to forgive him but it's been a rough road.

He's a good dad and I hate the thought of the kids only having him in there life part time.

Sometimes I think about staying together and toughing it out but I worry the kids might pick up on our sadness. we don't fight or argue in front of them mostly we ignore each other if we do argue it's after there in bed and we are typically in our room discussing things quietly.

The third option would be for us to be in an open relationship and be free to see who ever but stay in the marriage for the sake of the kids but this is out of character for me. I don't like the idea of it but also don't like the idea of not having anyone in my life for me for the next 18 years.

Idk what's right to do
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2013 at 2:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PhoenixsMommy10
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 2:59 PM
22 moms liked this
Unhappy parents are way worse imo.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erin708
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 3:01 PM
Unhappy parents. Mine are still unhappy and married cause they can't financially survive apart.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 19, 2013 at 3:04 PM
7 moms liked this

get divorced but work together as parents.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 19, 2013 at 3:05 PM
2 moms liked this
Divorce is the new marriage. If you're happier apart, do not stay together. Maybe try legally separating and then file for a divorce.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 19, 2013 at 3:05 PM
3 moms liked this
Unhappy is way worse, I am in the same situation as you only he cheated a little over 2 years ago with my best friend. I cant leave because I am financially unstable and cant make it by myself. I know its bad for my kids because we do argue in front of them. I love my old man but its hard to be with him and be happy... I'm trying though.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 19, 2013 at 3:07 PM
4 moms liked this
My parents went through a very unhappy time when I was 6-8. Sometimes my bro/sis and I stayed at a family friend's house for a month or so, so that they could work on their marriage. They had marriage counseling and therapy. They are still together and are much happier. I would say suffering through it year after year without any hope of reconciliation is way worse than cutting ties now. But if you think fighting for your marriage might bring forth a better future, I would stick it out and then review after a set time. Good luck, it's tough either way.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 19, 2013 at 3:07 PM
3 moms liked this
Unhappy is worse... My parents divorced and I turned out just fine. But I've seen a lot of couples stay together despite being unhappy and their kids ended up acting out and having a lot of issues.
stephiebugg
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 3:08 PM
4 moms liked this

Unhappy parents! Plus, is this the example you want to set for your kids of a healthy relationship? Would you want your kids to seek out a relationship like yours when they grow up?
They'd be better off with parents separate but happy and seeking out healthy relationships. :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Nov. 19, 2013 at 3:09 PM
9 moms liked this
Couples who stay together are likely to report that they are happier within 5 years. I would never ever divorce just for being unhappy.

The cheating is another story. Are you actively working on your marriage? Will he go to counseling? Are either of you willing to try?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Nov. 19, 2013 at 3:10 PM
9 moms liked this
That first sentence just makes me sad.

Quoting Anonymous:

Divorce is the new marriage. If you're happier apart, do not stay together. Maybe try legally separating and then file for a divorce.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN