Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

buying Christmas gifts from the dollar store edit

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 661 Replies
37 moms liked this

What is the problem with it? Why is it that some of you think it is low or trashy. I think it is good money management. 

Family dollar has a sale right now buy one get 50% off. On Thanksgiving they will have a sale buy one get one 70% off. My mom is shopping for my kids. Come Thanksgiving my mom will get around 10 gifts for under $100.

edit

a lot of you sound like complete snobs. I wonder how many of you have actually shopped at any dollar store. Family Dollar , Dollar General, Dollar tree? And not just judging by the name alone? In my area EVERYONE  calls family dollar and Dollar General a Dollar store. Not just my family or friends EVERYONE . 

They have a lot of name brand, good toys and other stuff especially around Christmas time. My kids got a few things last year from the family Dollar and they still have the stuff this year and still play with it as well.  and they are not broken. 

And no not all Dollar stores are in bad or trashy areas our is in the middle of town.

I think it is so sad that some of you are more about about price and where it comes from than the thought of the gift. That imo, is raising materialist, ungrateful kids. My kids will tell you that they are happy getting anything . My mom is shopping for my 10 year old and and is getting stuff for my 14 year old as well.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:46 PM

bump

SciFiMama91
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:47 PM
37 moms liked this
Psh I love family dollar and dollar tree. :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:49 PM
Bump
melly_v88
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:49 PM
26 moms liked this
You can make cute gifts from the things you can get cheap at the dollar store. Has no one seen Pinterest?!
zzzzbutblessed
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:50 PM
13 moms liked this
I honestly think the toys are a little on the cheaply made side, but i always get the kids some coloring books and art supplies there for stocking stuffers...
Liastele
by Lauren on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:50 PM
30 moms liked this

There is nothing wrong with discount stocking stuffers. Give a kid a coloring book and a puzzle from the dollar store.

Are you hard up for toys? Cheap toys are clutter to me. My kids only need so many Barbies and so many little toy sets. Eventually your kids get to the age when stuff in sets make sense. I'd prefer two Lego sets for my kids instead of 10 discount toys that will fall apart.

Call me snobby. I call it practical. It's about quality, not quantity. Why can't your mom buy your kids something nice that will last? A $50 science kit has more lasting value than the plastic junk she has purchased. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:51 PM
They have name brand toom like nurf guns. My mom is getting that for ds.

Quoting zzzzbutblessed:

I honestly think the toys are a little on the cheaply made side, but i always get the kids some coloring books and art supplies there for stocking stuffers...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:51 PM
7 moms liked this
I'd rather buy less at a higher quality.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:52 PM
This is what I was going to say. My kids color so I'm glad I can find cheap books.

Quoting zzzzbutblessed:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:52 PM
They have name brand toys at family dollar I saw it today. Plus she buy what they like.

Quoting Liastele:

There is nothing wrong with discount stocking stuffers. Give a kid a coloring book and a puzzle from the dollar store.

Are you hard up for toys? Cheap toys are clutter to me. My kids only need so many Barbies and so many little toy sets. Eventually your kids get to the age when stuff in sets make sense. I'd prefer two Lego sets for my kids instead of 10 discount toys that will fall apart.

Call me snobby. I call it practical. It's about quality, not quantity. Why can't your mom buy your kids something nice that will last? A $50 science kit has more lasting value than the plastic junk she has purchased. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)