Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm so confused

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 12:47 AM
  • 4 Replies
I'm in school to be a sign language interpreter. I'm doing pretty good. I'm getting a high C 78%. Which isn't too bad. It's a very hard course and somedays I'm not sure about it. There are a lot of rules with it. Like you can only communicate what is being said. If something doesn't sound right to you, there is nothing that you can do to give the client indication they are being scammed. I work in special ed and I have heard time which watching students fail. I'm an advocate by nature and I can't imagine a min where I can't advocate for the students in the classroom I'm working in. I'm trying to get used to it and understand that life isn't always fair. However its hard when I feel like I'm not as great as I should be. I'm pretty stressed out with dealing with 2 special needs children and a 2yr old. It's hard to find time to focus on it all.
Tonight found a great compliment in my homework assignment and it made me feel better. So I'm really confused.
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 12:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
thetrollcat
by Meow on Nov. 20, 2013 at 12:49 AM

what exactly are you confused about?

mab05
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 12:49 AM
I dont understand not helping them?

Maybe I read it wrong.... what cant you do?
abt1019
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 1:02 AM

ASL is a hard major. I majored in Deaf Culture, which required me to learn ASL, including interpreting (MAN can I fs fast now!). You have to remember it's a job. They don't pay you to be their friend or look our for them. They have brains and if you're interpreting properly they can decide for themselves if they're being "scammed" like any other person in the room can.

It sucks. I know. And a 78% doesn't mean anything. A C is a C. You don't want to do "okay" on your NIC examination, or do "okay" on the OTC and CDI. If you're not already actively signing 3-5 hours daily, get into the Deaf community and keep up the practice. Good luck! 

mamaBerg85
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 8:04 AM
Thanks I guess I just need a boost of encouragement. I Will work on this more.

Quoting abt1019:

ASL is a hard major. I majored in Deaf Culture, which required me to learn ASL, including interpreting (MAN can I fs fast now!). You have to remember it's a job. They don't pay you to be their friend or look our for them. They have brains and if you're interpreting properly they can decide for themselves if they're being "scammed" like any other person in the room can.

It sucks. I know. And a 78% doesn't mean anything. A C is a C. You don't want to do "okay" on your NIC examination, or do "okay" on the OTC and CDI. If you're not already actively signing 3-5 hours daily, get into the Deaf community and keep up the practice. Good luck! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)