Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Our neighbor killed himself

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

And his seventeen year old daughter found him.  SO sad!  Don't people know that tomorrow is always better?

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2013 at 8:19 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Nov. 20, 2013 at 8:43 AM
So sad.

I have a feeling that today's subject will be suicide.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Nov. 20, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Our neighbor killed herself about 5 years ago.  She had relapsed into cancer again, and she just didn't have it in her to fight it.  Her Husband found her.  He had left to pick up a quart of milk and some take out.  And she shot herself while he was out.

kaylamom2004
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 8:46 AM

It's sad because the teenage daughter found him. Hope he wasn't her only parent.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 20, 2013 at 8:47 AM
Same

Quoting vegaswife2011:

Me too. Hugs mama. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Suicide is a terrible thing. People who do it don't see any other way out. I've been down that path. It's hard to overcome the darkness in your own mind.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Nov. 20, 2013 at 8:47 AM
2 moms liked this

I see alot of you saying suicide is selfish. Suicide is not selfish when you believe it is the only way to make things better for yourself, the people that do it probably don't even think about the people they love missing them. I hate when people say that suicide is selfish.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Nov. 20, 2013 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

And his seventeen year old daughter found him.  SO sad!  Don't people know that tomorrow is always better?

That is the nature of depression.  They DON'T know that.  They go through day by day not seeing the light at the end of th tunnel.  They honestly believe their loved ones are better off without them.  They may have tried therapy that didn't work for their situation, or meds that made them feel even worse so they quit, not able to rationalize that there were still other options.

As hard as it may be, it does no good to judge someone who has committed suicide like that.  You want to.  You want some kind of easy to understand and process explanation, but if depression was that simple it'd be a helluva lot easier to "cure" and prevent these situations in the first place. 

The person wasn't in their right mind.  They weren't processing logic and consequences from a healthy point of view.  In their twisted state of mind they can't see that they are sick.  They can't see that there is help.  To them, suicide is totally justified and WE are all wrong for not seeing how perfect it is.

anyotherday
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 8:48 AM

There were times I didnt want to get better though. I dont know what kept me around, but I can sure as hell tell you it wasnt a "glimmer of hope" or "a light at the end of the tunnel."

Quoting Anonymous:

but you sound as though you are better now.  it will always get better if you want it to get better

Quoting anyotherday:

unless tomorrow isnt better, or the day after that. While I feel terribly for the people who only see that as an option... and I feel terribly for their families... I would never condemn someone for choosing that as an option.

Ive been there, Ive felt that overwhelming blackness, I've been to the point where I felt the world would be better off without me. Ive spent months and years in that place.  Sometimes it really does NOT get better 

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Can be done, when I lost power for 7 days due to a hurricane I still had Internet on my phone and charged my phone in my car.

Quoting Anonymous:

No power and yet you are online, on your phone I presume?

Quoting Anonymous:

Right now today isn't better then yesterday and if it wasn't for the five year old who is singing in the bathroom by candle light. I wouldn't be here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 20, 2013 at 8:51 AM

I guess I can understand that but it just seems like such a waste.  I've never felt any kind of depression so I can't even begin to understand what people are thinking or feeling when they feel that way.  It's just so sad to see her out and about in the neighborhood, or to see his wife out raking the yard, when last year it was him doing it.  I just want to believe that tomorrow will be better.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

That is the nature of depression.  They DON'T know that.  They go through day by day not seeing the light at the end of th tunnel.  They honestly believe their loved ones are better off without them.  They may have tried therapy that didn't work for their situation, or meds that made them feel even worse so they quit, not able to rationalize that there were still other options.

As hard as it may be, it does no good to judge someone who has committed suicide like that.  You want to.  You want some kind of easy to understand and process explanation, but if depression was that simple it'd be a helluva lot easier to "cure" and prevent these situations in the first place. 

The person wasn't in their right mind.  They weren't processing logic and consequences from a healthy point of view.  In their twisted state of mind they can't see that they are sick.  They can't see that there is help.  To them, suicide is totally justified and WE are all wrong for not seeing how perfect it is.

anyotherday
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I guarantee you that most of them ARE thinking of the ones in their life. To them, THEY are the cause of everyone else's problems, THEY are messing their own life up and messing up their family. They feel that if THEY were gone, then their family would be better off... everyone would be better off without them. They are doing their family a favor in their view.  They might even think about their family missing them, but they "know" that everyone would get over it and be able to live a better life with them out of it.

Quoting Anonymous:

I see alot of you saying suicide is selfish. Suicide is not selfish when you believe it is the only way to make things better for yourself, the people that do it probably don't even think about the people they love missing them. I hate when people say that suicide is selfish.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN