Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Our neighbor killed himself

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

And his seventeen year old daughter found him.  SO sad!  Don't people know that tomorrow is always better?

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2013 at 8:19 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 20, 2013 at 8:53 AM

that's just so sad to me.  and because i've never felt those emotions i have a hard time understanding them.  it's just an awful situation all around

Quoting anyotherday:

I guarantee you that most of them ARE thinking of the ones in their life. To them, THEY are the cause of everyone else's problems, THEY are messing their own life up and messing up their family. They feel that if THEY were gone, then their family would be better off... everyone would be better off without them. They are doing their family a favor in their view.  They might even think about their family missing them, but they "know" that everyone would get over it and be able to live a better life with them out of it.

Quoting Anonymous:

I see alot of you saying suicide is selfish. Suicide is not selfish when you believe it is the only way to make things better for yourself, the people that do it probably don't even think about the people they love missing them. I hate when people say that suicide is selfish.

cjsmom1
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 8:57 AM
2 moms liked this
I wish people understood more about why people commit suicide. In that persons mind it isn't selfish. They often feel like a burden and think their loved ones would be better off if they were dead. For some it's the ultimate act of love and sacrifice.
anyotherday
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 8:59 AM

It is sad. And I hope that you never do feel like that. I've been depressed since childhood (thankfully they are finally recognizing childhood depression as a real thing.) It is just as strange for me to understand what it is like NOT to feel like I have/still do.

Quoting Anonymous:

that's just so sad to me.  and because i've never felt those emotions i have a hard time understanding them.  it's just an awful situation all around

Quoting anyotherday:

I guarantee you that most of them ARE thinking of the ones in their life. To them, THEY are the cause of everyone else's problems, THEY are messing their own life up and messing up their family. They feel that if THEY were gone, then their family would be better off... everyone would be better off without them. They are doing their family a favor in their view.  They might even think about their family missing them, but they "know" that everyone would get over it and be able to live a better life with them out of it.

Quoting Anonymous:

I see alot of you saying suicide is selfish. Suicide is not selfish when you believe it is the only way to make things better for yourself, the people that do it probably don't even think about the people they love missing them. I hate when people say that suicide is selfish.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2013 at 9:00 AM

No some people don't know that because tomorrow isn't always better. You weren't in his head it doesn't matter if he had everything in the world that would make a normal person happy you don't kill yourself unless there is something extremely wrong and until people start taking mental illness serious an this country starts helping instead of scoffing at it like its something to 'get over' then nothing will ever change and these things will continue to happen.

megz0511
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 9:01 AM
In 2008 my then fiance and I bought a house and within a month our neighbor killed himself, with his wife (or girlfriend, not sure) and 3 kids in the house at the time. She said she wanted him to go back to rehab, he said give me a minute to think about it, she walked out of the room and he locked the door and grabbed a gun and that was that. Sad that he took his own life instead of getting help like she wanted.
mab05
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 9:02 AM
Thats sad for the daughter
Apgsteenmommy
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 9:03 AM
:(
Ashley1113
by Ley on Nov. 20, 2013 at 9:03 AM
I tried to kill myself when I was 12, and again at 15. I felt like a burden to everyone because of my depression. I was diagnosed as bipolar while pregnant with dd, and often found myself contemplating suicide after she was born because I felt like a burden once again. I find myself contemplating it again this pregnancy when df tells me that my moods are making life difficult. To us, it's not selfish. It's our way of showing our family that we love them, and don't want to burden them anymore.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2013 at 9:03 AM

It makes me angry to hear people who commit suicide are selfish. Most people who commit suicide are far from selfish. 4 years ago I attempted suicide. I failed obviously, I saw how it affected my kids. If I wasn't able to see how it affected my kids I'm sure I would try again. I have constant thoughts of suicide all day everyday. But I made my kids a promise that I would not do that again, I stand by my promise.

As of now, my wish is my kids will grow up, go to college, get a good paying job, marry a man that will love them more then anything in the world and treat them like princesses. When/If that happens, I will know my kids are ok, and I can finally end this life. I hate living and I hate myself more then anything in the world. I can't stand being alive. Why should I have to suffer to make everyone happy. All I do is try to please people. What about me being happy. I will be happy when I'm dead!

sexy_starfish
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 9:03 AM
How horrible for his daughter. I'm sorry he was in so much pain.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)