Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you make your beds everyday? (small edit added)

Posted by   + Show Post

So do you make your bed daily?  What about your kids, do you require theirs are made (whether they do it or you/someone else)?  By 'making the bed', I mean fully arranging all bedding including a spread or comforter or whatever you have.  I'm not referring to changing/washing the bedding on a regular basis.  

The reason I ask is I commented elsewhere on the subject...I metioned I very rarely make my bed and I don't require the kids to do so either.  You'd have thought from the comments back that I had confessed to cannibalism or something equally horrifying.

Personally, I think it's one of the silliest, most time-wasting tasks to do. We are just going to get back in it that night.  No one is going to see them. I pick up the pillows DH throws on the floor during the night and toss them back on the bed (he is a crazy sleeper).   But otherwise...I don't think it's necessary.  I just don't see the point.   So if you do make the bed-why?  Do you really care about it or is it just a habit?

(And yes, I change the sheets on a regular basis, and I'm not lazy or a slob or dirty-the house/possessions are taken care of, clean, picked up, fairly organized, etc. )

Edit-When i say we don't make the bed, I don't mean that the sheets and blankets are laying in a big wad and/or hanging over the edge. My side stays pretty neat all night; DH's looks like whirlwind hit it, but we both pull them straight as we get out of bed.  So we aren't getting into a giant mess at night, I can't do that either.  They aren't perfect but are essentially straight, are tucked in properly, and are not lumpy/wadded/twisted up or anything.  Well except for DS, as he literally forms a burrow of his bedding, I have all but welded the bedding in at night and he still manages to make his little nest in his sleep, so we just straighten but not re-tuck everything and I don't force the issue.

by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Replies (11-20):
CelestialSong
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:19 AM

No. I'm with you, I also think it's an unnecessary waste of time. I only make the beds if we're showing the house.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:19 AM

DH and I usually do together.  I do expect the kids (10 and 16) to make theirs before they leave their room.  I hate getting into an unmade bed but I am weird as I even iron the sheets when I wash them.  

kbutton24
by Mrs.Sima on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Not usually. Growing up, my mother made her bed daily and still does.
MidwestMama55
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:20 AM
3 moms liked this

We make ours everyday, kids included. Some people don't, and that's OK. In my household, we are all affected by "visual clutter".  We are all calmer and happier when all the rooms in our home are clean, neat and uncluttered. So it works for us. If a messy bedroom doesn't bother another family - that's great for them. 

daughteroftruth
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:21 AM
2 moms liked this

Yes we do.  I get your point, but I prefer the way it looks.  It takes less then 2 min to make a bed, and it makes our rooms look much nicer.  Plus, I think its beneficial for the kids to make their beds every day.

katherine84
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Yes! I make our bed every morning before I start breakfast. The kids make their beds every morning after breakfast.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:21 AM
No SO works nights so most often is sleeping during the day.. ds and I have naps. Then sleep at night. So there usually is someone in it. Lol
chalisa0
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:22 AM
2 moms liked this

Yes, I do.  I make the beds-even my kids' beds.  Saying it is a waste of time and will just go back the same way is very immature.  So do many things-like washing our bodies or our cars.  We'll just get dirty again, so why should we bathe?  Our lawn will just grow again, so why mow?  Nicely made beds are just part of a well-kept home.  Unmade beds are sloppy and messy.

JRSMOM0621
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I havent for 2 years. I took frequent naps while pregnant with my son, then after he was born we took naps or we would cuddle in bed. Once he got older he would be placed there while we got dressed and he would just snuggle with the blankets and pillows. so really was no use. we still dont make the bed because our son still climbs up on bed and goes crazy. I will most likely go back to making the bed after this baby is born.

Mommy to one angel, 1 crazy toddler and 1 on the way!!
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:22 AM
I do...but only because I like to sleep on flat, taut sheets. 2 of my kids make theirs and the other 2 sleep on a wadded, disorganized mess
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN