Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you make your beds everyday? (small edit added)

Posted by   + Show Post

So do you make your bed daily?  What about your kids, do you require theirs are made (whether they do it or you/someone else)?  By 'making the bed', I mean fully arranging all bedding including a spread or comforter or whatever you have.  I'm not referring to changing/washing the bedding on a regular basis.  

The reason I ask is I commented elsewhere on the subject...I metioned I very rarely make my bed and I don't require the kids to do so either.  You'd have thought from the comments back that I had confessed to cannibalism or something equally horrifying.

Personally, I think it's one of the silliest, most time-wasting tasks to do. We are just going to get back in it that night.  No one is going to see them. I pick up the pillows DH throws on the floor during the night and toss them back on the bed (he is a crazy sleeper).   But otherwise...I don't think it's necessary.  I just don't see the point.   So if you do make the bed-why?  Do you really care about it or is it just a habit?

(And yes, I change the sheets on a regular basis, and I'm not lazy or a slob or dirty-the house/possessions are taken care of, clean, picked up, fairly organized, etc. )

Edit-When i say we don't make the bed, I don't mean that the sheets and blankets are laying in a big wad and/or hanging over the edge. My side stays pretty neat all night; DH's looks like whirlwind hit it, but we both pull them straight as we get out of bed.  So we aren't getting into a giant mess at night, I can't do that either.  They aren't perfect but are essentially straight, are tucked in properly, and are not lumpy/wadded/twisted up or anything.  Well except for DS, as he literally forms a burrow of his bedding, I have all but welded the bedding in at night and he still manages to make his little nest in his sleep, so we just straighten but not re-tuck everything and I don't force the issue.

by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Replies (21-30):
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Yes. All of our beds are made every day.

Lilfootmommy
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Nope I dont see the point in making it look nice when its just gonna get messed up again. Besides none is going in our rooms except us, they dont need to look presentable
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:31 AM
No I don't. I change the sheets and its made then. My SO will if he is the last one up. But I think it's a military thing.
P.V.Hawkwind
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I don't make our bed. DD likes to "dress" her bed everyday. 

isaiahsmom321
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Yes I guess if I'm cleaning the rest of the room why hog make the bed it takes 5 mins. I don't find it a waste of time and the rooms look so much better
beerabitch69
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:33 AM

all beds are made everyday. I make them.

.PilesOfLaundry
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:33 AM

no not everyday

cindilou13
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:34 AM
3 moms liked this

I don't think it's immature, I think it's a personal preference, and it's not the same as the other examples you mentioned.  We wash our bodies as part of personal hygiene, which is good for our health.  We wash our cars as part of good maintenance, for example removing dirt/residues that would have a negative afffect on the paint/structure of the car.  We mow our lawns so that they are safe to walk in and play in.   Yes, all those things also result in a good appearance, but that's not the only reason we do them.  But with an unmade bed, isn't the only reason to do it simply appearance?  Which would be a personal preference.  if I was showing my house, or expected guests to see them for some reason, I would make them.  But on a daily basis, no one is going to see them, not even us for more than a few minutes, so I just don't see the point.     

Quoting chalisa0:

Yes, I do.  I make the beds-even my kids' beds.  Saying it is a waste of time and will just go back the same way is very immature.  So do many things-like washing our bodies or our cars.  We'll just get dirty again, so why should we bathe?  Our lawn will just grow again, so why mow?  Nicely made beds are just part of a well-kept home.  Unmade beds are sloppy and messy.

Doodlesrevenge
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:35 AM

We all make our beds in the morning.  It makes the room seem cleaner.  And I like climbing into a made bed.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I make mine and DH bed every morning, my children do if they feel like it, they all sleep on the second level of our home and that area is strictly off limits to everyone but our children. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)