Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you make your beds everyday? (small edit added)

Posted by   + Show Post

So do you make your bed daily?  What about your kids, do you require theirs are made (whether they do it or you/someone else)?  By 'making the bed', I mean fully arranging all bedding including a spread or comforter or whatever you have.  I'm not referring to changing/washing the bedding on a regular basis.  

The reason I ask is I commented elsewhere on the subject...I metioned I very rarely make my bed and I don't require the kids to do so either.  You'd have thought from the comments back that I had confessed to cannibalism or something equally horrifying.

Personally, I think it's one of the silliest, most time-wasting tasks to do. We are just going to get back in it that night.  No one is going to see them. I pick up the pillows DH throws on the floor during the night and toss them back on the bed (he is a crazy sleeper).   But otherwise...I don't think it's necessary.  I just don't see the point.   So if you do make the bed-why?  Do you really care about it or is it just a habit?

(And yes, I change the sheets on a regular basis, and I'm not lazy or a slob or dirty-the house/possessions are taken care of, clean, picked up, fairly organized, etc. )

Edit-When i say we don't make the bed, I don't mean that the sheets and blankets are laying in a big wad and/or hanging over the edge. My side stays pretty neat all night; DH's looks like whirlwind hit it, but we both pull them straight as we get out of bed.  So we aren't getting into a giant mess at night, I can't do that either.  They aren't perfect but are essentially straight, are tucked in properly, and are not lumpy/wadded/twisted up or anything.  Well except for DS, as he literally forms a burrow of his bedding, I have all but welded the bedding in at night and he still manages to make his little nest in his sleep, so we just straighten but not re-tuck everything and I don't force the issue.

by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Replies (31-40):
cindilou13
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Do you think it's beneficial specifically that they make their beds, or just that they have some responsibilities and expectations? My kids do know HOW to make the bed if needed, and they have daily expectations/responsibilites, making the bed just isn't one of them. 

I guess I am not concerned with how the room looks as we are the only ones that see them and that for very little time.

Quoting daughteroftruth:

Yes we do.  I get your point, but I prefer the way it looks.  It takes less then 2 min to make a bed, and it makes our rooms look much nicer.  Plus, I think its beneficial for the kids to make their beds every day.

daughteroftruth
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:40 AM

I just think its beneficial for them to have daily responsibilities and expectations.  How a parent decides to teach self discipline and responsibility is up to them.  For me, I like how the house feels and looks when the beds are made, its just a personal preference, not right or wrong. 

You know, some people would say that they cannot see the self discipline in making a bed everyday.. my marine brother would disagree..lol

Quoting cindilou13:

Do you think it's beneficial specifically that they make their beds, or just that they have some responsibilities and expectations? My kids do know HOW to make the bed if needed, and they have daily expectations/responsibilites, making the bed just isn't one of them. 

I guess I am not concerned with how the room looks as we are the only ones that see them and that for very little time.

Quoting daughteroftruth:

Yes we do.  I get your point, but I prefer the way it looks.  It takes less then 2 min to make a bed, and it makes our rooms look much nicer.  Plus, I think its beneficial for the kids to make their beds every day.

-Chunky-Monkey-
by ***LeeCee*** on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:40 AM

We make our beds everyday and wash the sheets 1-2x a week.  We have dogs that like to sleep on our beds during the day and I don't want their hair on the sheets/blankets.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Exactly how I feel OP. 

Quoting cindilou13:

I don't think it's immature, I think it's a personal preference, and it's not the same as the other examples you mentioned.  We wash our bodies as part of personal hygiene, which is good for our health.  We wash our cars as part of good maintenance, for example removing dirt/residues that would have a negative afffect on the paint/structure of the car.  We mow our lawns so that they are safe to walk in and play in.   Yes, all those things also result in a good appearance, but that's not the only reason we do them.  But with an unmade bed, isn't the only reason to do it simply appearance?  Which would be a personal preference.  if I was showing my house, or expected guests to see them for some reason, I would make them.  But on a daily basis, no one is going to see them, not even us for more than a few minutes, so I just don't see the point.     

Quoting chalisa0:

Yes, I do.  I make the beds-even my kids' beds.  Saying it is a waste of time and will just go back the same way is very immature.  So do many things-like washing our bodies or our cars.  We'll just get dirty again, so why should we bathe?  Our lawn will just grow again, so why mow?  Nicely made beds are just part of a well-kept home.  Unmade beds are sloppy and messy.

mamax20810
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:43 AM
Yea I do. To me, my room looks cluttered and messy if the bed isn't made. Even if the room is spotless it looks bad. My 5yr old does theirs (he shares a queen with his 3 yr old bro) on the weekend...i do it on school days. I cannot get into a messy bed. Its more comfortable to me when it's made. Growing up I never did, felt the same as you. My Mom also harped on it and when I lived in my own place it made sense and I've been doing since.
momtolittleg
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:43 AM
Hell no. I agree with you 100%. Unless someone will be coming into my bedroom (or DD's) my bed stays unmade. Sometimes I will throw the covers in the general direction of how they're supposed to be, but not usually.
redneckmama4
by Loree on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:44 AM
I make it every mornin' but I don't require our kids to. They can if they want.
jowens8907
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:44 AM

MEH...I grew up having to make the bed every morning. Now I just kind of straighten the comforter out so it's not halfway hanging off the bed and put all the pillows back on it. It's not neatly made like I had to do it when I was little but it's together for when I go to bed the next night.

DS is only 2, around 3 I will have him start helping me more with making his bed and by 4 it will be his job. Doesn't have to be perfect just needs to be done. I've always thought it's just a responsibility thing, it takes like 2 seconds so why not. I do procrastinate with other things, but making (or straightening it, looks like a 5 year old did it most of the time haha) the bed is something I've always done.

I do change the sheets on my bed every week, I usually end up changing DS's sheets every 3-4 days because he sweats HORRIBLY in his sleep and it stinks haha.

Serenity1613
by Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:45 AM

90% of the time, yes I do. While no one may see the beds but us, to me it just helps make the bedrooms look neater overall. That's just me though.

zianneaaliyah
by 4ever LMFAO on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Mostly everyday. There are times I say, "fuck it". 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)