Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

her dead body was there for a month *Update*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 227 Replies

I rented my home next door to a vibrant sixty year old woman. She was always out and about. Until she let her sn grandson(he's about twenty and autistic) move in. I stopped seeing them both. This morning, i saw her being wheeled out in a body bag. my brother (police officer) told me her rotting corpse has been in the basement for about a month. The grandson said she fell but i doubt a fall would kill her. The basement stairs were carpeted and there were only eight. Her daughter cursed me out and blamed me for not checking in. I'm not a freaking social worker. It's not my job to do house calls. Then she said that her son said the place was haunted. She also said she'll be suing me for negligence .

this will be a post and run so i can talk to my lawyer. I'll go into detail when I'm free.

UPDATE:

So I went to see my lawyer and I am not responsible for ANYTHING that happened inside of my house. He also said that I can sue her for any damages she caused to the property in anger(she threw something through the window). 

Anyway. More detail:

If you believe in hauntings then one might say that the place is haunted. The house was left to me by Dad when he died a few years ago. He inherited the house from my grandparents and they bought it in the 1980s after the police found 3 dead bodies in there. They died of an overdose or somethin drug related. I don't remember. The house was abandoned at the time so I think they bought it to keep that from happening again. The neighborhood is really nice now, though.

When I rented the place to this woman, she was aware of the history. I TOLD her people died in the home years ago and I also told her that the old tenants said they saw things(and I told her the old neighbors were also stoners). She still wanted the place so I rented it out to her.

The place is really nice. 2 floors, a finished basement, full updated kitchen, 3 bathrooms, 2 bedrooms, dining and living room with an above ground pool. The rent was cheap-ish for the neighborhood we're  in.

I met her grandson and he was... okay. He was verbal but kind of reserved and never really left the house unless his grandma took him with her. But one day, I just stopped seeing them. I assumed it was because she got a change in her work hours or something. 

Then my husband wakes me up saying the cops are at the neighbors house. I look out of the window and see my brother so I flag him down. He lets me know that she was dead and her body was decomposing. Apparently the daughter found the body when she went to visit and called the cops. I go over there and she's going apeshit and blaming me for everything. She said the house was cursed, I should've have checked on them when I noticed they weren't leaving and she would be suing me. 

I have no clue what to do now. I'm waiting to hear back from the police but right now I'm not going over there. My brother said he was told the grandson was saying he didn't do it over and over again. But there is no way in hell someone is going to die after falling down eight carpeted stairs unless she broke her neck... Which I doubt. I've fallen down those same stairs and didn't get hurt. BUT she is an older woman.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 20, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Bump before i go
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 20, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Bump
LaughCryLive
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 1:43 PM
15 moms liked this
I would have laughed in her face. If anyone is negligent it would be her.
Misheldonann
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 1:43 PM
Wow keep us posted.
Misheldonann
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 1:43 PM
Wow keep us posted.
xoch86
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 1:44 PM

ummm.. id ont think she can do that... but people/court systems suck..GL

righteousrose
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 1:44 PM
making so I can check for updates, hope the lawyer vist goes well!
RaisinGirl78
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Um, okay. I don't understand how any of this is your fault/problem. I wouldn't worry about a frivolous lawsuit.

Tatertot912
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this
What??? You're in no way responsible for your neighbor. Considering you didn't have an agreement with the daughter to check in on her from time to time. I don't keep tabs on my neighbors, we say hello in passing or chat briefly but beyond that, not my bussiness.
poisonedtaco
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 1:45 PM

That's crazy... You should not have any responsibility to your neighbors.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)