Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

formula feeding moms! *edit*

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 3:17 PM
  • 76 Replies

hey, I am pregnant with my 4th child who is due in 2 weeks :) I have 3 children now and I breastfeed all of them . For medical reasons I CAN NOT breastfeed this time. Please don't ask why, it is very personal and I am very upset about it. But anyway ,I have to formula feed and since I have never done so I would like some advice from other moms :)

here are just SOME of my questions/concerns:

Does it matter what kind of formula? Can I buy on sale or always the same brand?

What kind of bottles are the best?

Am I going to have to go through several formulas to find the 'right' one?

Anyone ever had any problems with recalls/bad products?

Has anyone breastfeed one child then formula fed another and did you notice any difference with comfort in eating and bonding?

If anyone wants to add anything else, please do. Im just really nervous and want to do the best for my baby :)

***edit***

My computer battery is about to die so I need to go n charge it for a while but thank you all for all the replies and advice!!! Also one more question that I just thought of : Does it matter if you use tap water or bottle water to mix formula? I always drink tap but I of courrse Im grown, idk if it will mess with babies tummies lol

by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 3:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
soljawife
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 3:22 PM
Whatever you do ...do not switch formulas from day to day or sale to sale....the hospital wil start him on a certain one and if your baby is doing well there is no need to change it...i had to try diffrent ones with both of my kids so it just depends on what your baby is most comfortable with....
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2013 at 3:22 PM
For us personally we use the playtex bottles. I used the drop ins with my first and the vent aire with the baby now. Both girls started on enfamil newborn but both had to switch. First dd was lactose intolerant so she had prosobee and dd2 is on gentlease cause she was super gassy! It may or may not take time to find a good formula for.your baby as all are different. Ivw never had recall problems with any of mine. I always get enfamil because i receive wic but if i didnt i would get the cheaper and.mixing brands is ok.
Lilfootmommy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 3:23 PM
For some kids it does matter what brand of formula. Id get the same formula everytime. I doubt youll have to go through more than 3 if your.child has trouble with regular similac they probably wont tolerate regular enfamil. I didnt notice a difference in the bonding. My ds we breastfed for the first month but I had to switch to formula there was no difference for me in the bonding.
soljawife
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I breastfed and formula feed both babies so i couldnt tell you the diffrence....best of luck momma
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Look for formula that contains DHA and ARA. If baby is gassy or fussy, then go for ones that are made specifically for that. I always used Similac for both my kids. I know a lot of parents go with Gerber Good Start too!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2013 at 3:24 PM
I breast fed for 1 and 1/2 months then switched to formula. My recovery was difficult and also didn't get breast feeding support which disappointed me. Anyways, I had to go though a few different formulas because he had a sensitive tummy and developed eczema on his face. I finally stuck with Similac Sensitive, it was gentler on him and he was fine. I think the Similac brand is better. The bottles I used for about 8 months were the playtex drop-ins because they were excellent with reducing gas or spit up. I recommend these bottles.
AZHOTMOM
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Stick with the same formula. Not necessarily the type the hospital gives you, do you own research. I used playtex bottles.

thenameshailie
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Your doctor will tell you what kind of formula to use. The baby may need a special kind so dont buy any before hand. Off brands are just as good, but once you have started on one type of formula dont change to another on your own. Buy a few kind of bottles and the baby will pick whichever they prefer.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2013 at 3:26 PM
I use goats milk. My lo is bf too but is allergic to formula. I talked to my pedi. And we decided to go that way
LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Nov. 20, 2013 at 3:28 PM
Dont switch formulas every day. That is bad for their stomachs. Honestly it doesnt matter which ones you choose at first, though keep an eye because your baby may have an adverse reaction to them. My son cant handle gerber good start gentle. Also rhe parents choice brand has all the same stuff as the more expensive brands and is proven to be just as good. So dont feelb ad if you go for the cheaper can.

My son loves the tommee tippee bottles, they are a bit more expensive but thats what he likes.

You may have to go through a couple different ones or the first one you choose may be fine for him/her

I havent had anything really bad happen, the gerber orangec an made him constipated but thats about it.

There was no difference in the experience for me

Quoting tomary:

hey, I am pregnant with my 4th child who is due in 2 weeks :) I have 3 children now and I breastfeed all of them . For medical reasons I CAN NOT breastfeed this time. Please don't ask why, it is very personal and I am very upset about it. But anyway ,I have to formula feed and since I have never done so I would like some advice from other moms :)

here are just SOME of my questions/concerns:

Does it matter what kind of formula? Can I buy on sale or always the same brand?

What kind of bottles are the best?

Am I going to have to go through several formulas to find the 'right' one?

Anyone ever had any problems with recalls/bad products?

Has anyone breastfeed one child then formula fed another and did you notice any difference with comfort in eating and bonding?

If anyone wants to add anything else, please do. Im just really nervous and want to do the best for my baby :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured