Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

This is a good parent/teacher relationship!

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 6:31 PM
  • 94 Replies
For those of you saying, in my other post that I am a bitch and nitpick, this is not true! This is an email conversation between my sons teacher and myself.

Teacher:
Hi,
Just so you are aware, Hunter hasn’t completed anything this morning. I feel bad when he would rather just sit and do nothing
than work so he can't go to recess and our other fun classes. He will work when I am standing over him or sitting next to him, but
that is just not possible all day long.

I thought the bears were working, but today it doesn’t matter what I say. I also feel bad because he can do the work I ask, he just
won’t.

Are the bears working at home or do we need to try something in addition?

Me:
The bears don't seem to be working at home, I'm not sure what else to try.
If you would like, send him home with duplicates of all the work he was supposed to do this week, and I will sit down with him this evening, and we will do it.
I will try some things and get back with you on what has worked.
I can send some stickers to school with him and every time he stays on task you could give him one?
I am truly stumped on what else to try.
Do you think maybe the work is too difficult for him to understand? Are you explaining things more to him, than any of the other kids?
I have noticed when working on things at home that I am explaining each part multiple times. So maybe he needs more help understanding what to do, and him not working is his way of saying he is frustrated, because he doesn't understand?
Is there any way to push for testing him sooner for special education, that we could possibly try?

Thank you

Teacher:
What frustrates me is he can do the work. If I am sitting next to him or standing over him, he does it just fine…If he isn’t listening (which is more likely), he
starts to play and then he can’t do it simply because he doesn’t pay attention. As far as the stickers, he becomes more concerned about them than his work.

I will just continue to work with him. I have seen a great improvement since the beginning of the year. I know he can do the job if he wants to: it’s getting
him to want to. He thinks if he doesn’t do it at school, he can just take it home and do it. He can, but unfortunately, he misses all the “fun” stuff because I
insist he at least try. He is choosing not to work. The work is not too hard for him. He needs to learn to be an independent worker and not rely on someone else to do his work.

Give him something to do on his own, such as writing his numbers. Try not to give him the answers: you can help, but he needs to do all of the work by himself.
Have him write his spelling words 3 times each and then write a sentence or two to go with them. That is not too difficult and hopefully he will do it. He sits right in front of me so I can watch him. He tends to make noises and take the think time of those students at his table.
I just wanted you to know he chooses not to work. As I said, I will continue to work with him, but unless he decides to work on his own, he will be missing out on recess and our specials.

Thanks for understanding,

Me:
Ok, well I will talk to him. I agree he does need to be able to do his work independently, and he needs to let the other students have their think time, without his interruptions.
At this point I'm not sure what else to try, to help him.
I also understand your frustrations. Does him missing out on recess and all the other fun activities make him more inclined to do his work? Or is it the same thing?
I had figured as much about the stickers, but was hoping it would work.
I appreciate your patience with him, and I understand how difficult it is to deal with his behavior.
Other than missing recess is there any other ways you have or can discipline him when he is choosing not to do his work or be quiet?

Thank you,

If my daughters teacher would communicate like this, there would not be a problem!
My son has been having issues since the beginning of the school year, his teacher and I have been in pretty much weekly contact, trying to find ways to motivate him to do his work at school.
He had issues last year as well.

Now, tell me again how I am the parent all teachers hate, please!
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 6:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2013 at 6:35 PM
Are the one who was complaining about the spelling test and her name being mis-spelled?

What grade are your kids in?
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Nov. 20, 2013 at 6:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Still at it with the teachers huh?

sweetnsassymami
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this

you should homeschool lol

and you made the blog. congrats!

Prplesockmonkey
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Yes, they are in prefirst (my son) and first grade (my daughter)

Quoting Anonymous:

Are the one who was complaining about the spelling test and her name being mis-spelled?

What grade are your kids in?

mommy_me
by ~The Three B's~ on Nov. 20, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Round and round
littlesippycup
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 6:38 PM
5 moms liked this

LOL I liked how you looked for excuses like Does he need things explanined over and over, b/c that's what I do b/c he doesn't understand. You're an enabler and your kid is playing you.

Prplesockmonkey
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 6:39 PM
No, my daughters teacher is the only one I am having issues with! My sons teacher informs me of her concerns and I inform her of mine...did you read?

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Prplesockmonkey
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 6:40 PM
I was asking for insight on how he behaves in the classroom...how am I supposed to know if he understands what he is doing or not?

Quoting littlesippycup:

LOL I liked how you looked for excuses like Does he need things explanined over and over, b/c that's what I do b/c he doesn't understand. You're an enabler and your kid is playing you.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Nov. 20, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Yes I read it. You are bothering this teacher too.

Quoting Prplesockmonkey:

No, my daughters teacher is the only one I am having issues with! My sons teacher informs me of her concerns and I inform her of mine...did you read?

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Prplesockmonkey
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 6:41 PM
Nobody really cares about the blog! ;)

Quoting sweetnsassymami:

you should homeschool lol

and you made the blog. congrats!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)