Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The school called CPS on me today

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 38 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'm so upset right now. The caseworker went to my old house today and left a message there. (I just moved last week) so I called her and she told me that she had been called because my 6 yr son had said yesterday while at school that he was going to kill himself. This was yesterday and no one from the school called me or anything! I think I should have had at least a phone call saying that he had said that. Not saying that he would actually do it but what if he had done something last night and to think that they could have given me a warning or something kind of makes me mad. So now they want me to take him to get an assessment done on him at a juvenile detention center. I would understand all this better if he was older but he is 6 years old and he is a very happy kid. I'm mad because the school didn't call me but called family services. I'm mad because they will call CPS over this but not on the kids that actually need CPS to step in. I know a girl that sends her kids to school every day dirty, hair ratted up, and head lice. These kids are sent home with lice at least 3 times a week but the school won't call family services on them? Sorry I just needed to vent. 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2013 at 7:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 20, 2013 at 7:48 PM
My youngest does that from time to time. Idky they'd call CPS on you for that. I heard Squidward threaten to kill himself once!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 20, 2013 at 7:49 PM
I would be mad as hell they didn't tell me! I would not take my son to a detention center for an evaluation but I would make an emergency appointment with a licenced psychiatrist of my choosing. As long as he is being seen by a professional there is nothing they can do.
SpnFulOfSugar
by Emerald Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 7:50 PM
They should have contacted you but they have to take these things very seriously even at that young an age. A 6 year old girl at my sons school hung herself with her belt in the bathroom. Luckily she was found quickly, she was unconscious but survived.
ShellLea
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Yeah, they could have just asked you about it. When my youngest girl popped off with that one the teacher just had the principal ask me about it since she wouldn't be around at the end of the day. It was a phase that my teen girls were going through, and my teen boy mocked constantly. Let the principal know that, she told the teacher, and I had a talk with dd. No CPS.

Monsita
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 7:57 PM

im sorry....lets be thankful...at the same time!

Quoting SpnFulOfSugar:

They should have contacted you but they have to take these things very seriously even at that young an age. A 6 year old girl at my sons school hung herself with her belt in the bathroom. Luckily she was found quickly, she was unconscious but survived.

SweetBaby555
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 7:57 PM

The  School should have called you first !! 

Owl_Feather
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 7:59 PM

I would be livid!

SpnFulOfSugar
by Emerald Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 7:59 PM
It was such a crazy situation. I volunteer at the school and was in the front office after the ambulance took her. Her parent came charging in and were cussing and yelling because the school called 911.

Quoting Monsita:

im sorry....lets be thankful...at the same time!

Quoting SpnFulOfSugar:

Remy11
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 8:00 PM
That makes no sense at all. If they had called you and you refused to get him evaluated or something then it's neglect and they can call on you. Are you sure your son didn't say anything else.
I would have a hard time believing that CPS would even investigate this if that was the only complaint.. But it is serious so give you a call and suggesting an eval is warranted. Persia my I would take him to the ER and have them do an emergency eval. If it come up nothing then awesome.. If not then you really had an emergency on your hands.
I say this as a CPS worker.
And FYI sending kids to school dirty is considered poor parenting not abusive.. Not saying it's right but law wise it's a tricky slope..
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 20, 2013 at 8:00 PM

the school didnt call because you could be part of the problem & why your kid wants to kill himself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN