Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teacher gifts

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 8:50 PM
  • 54 Replies
1 mom liked this

I am feeling kind of torn about teacher gifts.  I get that each teacher is going to have their own opinions on the subject but I figure the more opinions I get the better decision I can make.

Every year my kids and I make a craft for their teacher for their Christmas gift.  We have done what I think are some really cool things.  We get a lot of compliments and it might be because we still go to that school, but the teachers have displayed some of our stuff even after we aren't in their classroom anymore.

But, I have seen so much on here that teachers don't want your stupid crap, they want a gift card or school supplies or something like that.  So, what do I do?  The craft (which usually costs us quite a bit) or do I just use the money I would have spent and get them a gift card to office depot or amazon or starbucks?

These are some of the crafts we have done in the past

And this is what I was thinking about for this year, for the 4th and 2nd graders' teachers.  It's basically a decorative metallic board with magnetic scrabble tiles for ongoing games.

And for my kindergartener's teacher (who also is a title 1 teacher and HUGE into reading being the most important thing ever) either:

OR:

What do you think?  Gift card?  These ideas?  Something else?  I am so confused!  Help!

by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 8:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommaponch
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Bumping for thoughts!  I know it's before Thanksgiving, but it is only a month away!

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Nov. 20, 2013 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I do gift cards every year. I am sure they could really use the extra money for things for the classroom.

Buggy979
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Pedicure gift card.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AnnaBright
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 9:04 PM
I do a commuter cup with some good cocoa mixes and a gc to either amazon or local coffee shop
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Either is fine. I personally love homemade ornaments (make sure to put the kid's name and year). I hang them all on a small classroom Christmas tree and get to remember so many of my past students as I hang them up.
soljawife
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 9:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Make a gift!!!! They love it....especially when they can see you put your time into it
LAXmom21
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 9:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I got them gift cards or gift baskets.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2013 at 9:06 PM

i think those are awesome! if i was a teacher i would think it was so cool the kid made that instead of just going out and the mom buying something

with that said i have one kid in headstart,yes we are poor,the first year i got the teacher and teachers aide something from dollar tree,dont remember what,last year i got them both a cheap body lotion set from family dollar, and i give the bus driver and monitor a card with scratch ticket

mommaponch
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Either is fine. I personally love homemade ornaments (make sure to put the kid's name and year). I hang them all on a small classroom Christmas tree and get to remember so many of my past students as I hang them up.

I love that!

We always put their full name and the year on the crafts we do. 

masonmansmommy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 9:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm a teacher and I love your last three pictures!! Great ideas and I have never seen those kinds of things before!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured