Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Yes! DD FINALLY gets to hear about gay marriage

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies

My DD is 5 and my DS is 3. I have been waiting and waiting for the opportunity to come up where I get to explain about people being gay. I don't have any gay friends that the kids have met and it seems my 5 year old has asked about every single question but that. So today she tells me she's going to marry her friend Ben and asks her brother who he's going to marry. He replies with his best friends name, Alexander. DD says you can't marry him because he's a boy. I was so happy to have the issue finally come up. I said "Sure he can. Boys can marry boys if they want to and girls can marry girls too. You can marry whoever you want to marry" My DD looked at me and said "really?" and I nodded my head. 

Success! I'm just so gald it finally came up. Then at dinner she was asking me about people in our family and if they had ever been married. Each one she would say, now did they marry a boy or a girl? It's always nice when these things come up early on and in the privacy of your own home.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2013 at 9:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 20, 2013 at 9:48 PM

BUMP

desertlvn
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 9:49 PM

*BIG SMILE* Well done!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 20, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Thank you. Do you ever feel like that with a big issue. Just glad that you got to be there when the question came up? 

Quoting desertlvn:

*BIG SMILE* Well done!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 20, 2013 at 9:55 PM

BUMP

desertlvn
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 9:56 PM

All the time! Especially the issues that I feel strongly about.

I think you handled the situation better than I did. When my DD was little she was playing with two girl dolls and aske me if they could get married. I told her that people love who they love. I said that some states let girls marry girls and boys marry boys, but that others don't. She cried soooo hard. I felt horrible for being OVERLY truthful.

Quoting Anonymous:

Thank you. Do you ever feel like that with a big issue. Just glad that you got to be there when the question came up? 

Quoting desertlvn:

*BIG SMILE* Well done!

ame85
by Chemistry cat on Nov. 20, 2013 at 9:57 PM
Good work :-)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 20, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Oh no. I didn't want to bring up the controversy of it all. I wanted her to understand that's its normal and natural. When we were sitting at dinner she seemed to want an example of a gay person. I couldn't think of anyone she's ever met except the guy ho does my hair. lol

Quoting desertlvn:

All the time! Especially the issues that I feel strongly about.

I think you handled the situation better than I did. When my DD was little she was playing with two girl dolls and aske me if they could get married. I told her that people love who they love. I said that some states let girls marry girls and boys marry boys, but that others don't. She cried soooo hard. I felt horrible for being OVERLY truthful.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting desertlvn:

*BIG SMILE* Well done!

AlliBeeC
by Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:00 PM
My daughter was at the oral surgeon when katy Perry I kissed a girl came on. She said isn't this a girl singing?! I said yes. She said "can you do that?!" I explained some girls like girls and some boys like boys. In some states they can get married and soon we are hoping that everyone can get married everywhere."
She looked at me and said "wait WHY can't they NOW?!?!?! That's stupid"
My daughter is 7. And I was so proud of her for understanding how stupid it is to tell someone they cant get married because of who they love.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:00 PM
I don't get why it's such a big deal. My kids know all about gay /straight/bi. It was never a big old conversation... just many small conversations and keeping communication open.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Its a big deal because they aren't exposed to any gay people. I'm glad it came up because I was concerned it might not come up for a long time. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't get why it's such a big deal. My kids know all about gay /straight/bi. It was never a big old conversation... just many small conversations and keeping communication open.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)