Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If you didn't go to an elementary school teacher conference, why not?

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:49 AM
  • 209 Replies

Poll

Question: If you didn't go to an elementary school teacher conference, why not?

Options:

My kid is doing fine.

I couldn't get off work.

Another parent or guardian went.

Other.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 122

View Results

Last Friday the elementary schools were closed for students so there could be parent-teacher conferences. Report cards were handed out then. More than a third of the parents in one class sent back the form saying that they felt no need to have a conference. This is a below-level class and there are kids with C's, D's and F's. This week is American Education Week and the same students had no parents visiting.   

by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:51 AM

My child is ahead of the class but also because we talk to the teacher each day when we drop off and pick up. 

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:52 AM
I saw the teacher the week before on a field trip and everything was discussed.
notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Dh went, either wat my dd is doing awesome. I know this because I am the room mom

TheyAreMyLoves
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this
DH and I always go to the first conference of the year no matter what.
Then, at the request of the teacher for each additional quarter.
If grades are fine and there are no disciplinary issues, we don't make appointments.
We also have met with teachers on our own (and their own) time if issues arrise. Not only during conference times.
Our school gives 3 different dates (two in evenings a week apart and one school closure day that are morning-afternoon hours) so parents have a better opportunity to schedule around work.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:57 AM
8 moms liked this

Both kids are honor roll and we've never missed a P/T conference ever.

It surprises me that the parents of the kids who are doing poorly, don't care enough to find out why.

LokisMama
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:59 AM

I always go to my son's.  I'm a SAHM, there's no reason for me not to unless I'm like deathly ill or something.

Fields456
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:59 AM
I checked the option that I would come in if the teacher felt we needed a conference. She did not since the only problem dd has had this year has already been addressed and she is doing great. I keep an open line of communication wih the school all year
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I personally didn't go to conferences, however both of my kids have special needs and I communicate with their teachers almost daily.  Now these kids that you speak of most likely are getting Ds and Fs because their parents don't care - we see a lot of that in our school too.

Msgme
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:03 AM

I no longer have elementary aged kids my youngest is in middle school and i have 2 tenth graders.  From the time they started school thru middle school i went to every parent teacher confrence.  Even when I knew what i was going to hear. The elementary school offered kids a No uniform pass for every parent that went. I would of gone anyway but my kids enjoyed the pass.  My now 15 year old (tomorrow anyway) i've gotten the same report from every teacher every year.  I still went just so that they knew i cared about what they were learning and that the teachers and I were a team.  

I have to confess tho I dont always go to the high school parent teachers.  They get their report card days before and I can see if there is a problem or not.  My kids go to different  high schools and I dont always have time to get to both on the same night.  The schools are no where near eachother and I dont drive. so I  may go to one one time and the next time the other. 

Leobaby2007
by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:04 AM
3 moms liked this

I always go to conferences. I assumed eveyone did. :/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)