Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

There are NO halves in OUR family

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 10:03 AM
  • 111 Replies
Last night we stopped to visit DHs cousin on the way home. His wife was sitting at the table with my kids talking, and as I was coming down the stairs I heard her telling my kids "Bri and Cassie are your half sisters". My dd was in tears! She was saying "No they are my whole sisters" and cousins wife continued to push the subject and tell dd that her older sisters are only their half sisters.

I got to the table cleared my throat and made the "cut it out" signal. Then I asked to speak to her in the kitchen. I was pissed.

I told her not to talk about things like that with my kids anymore. That while yes, their sisters ARE their half sisters, we choose not to call them that. There are NO halves in our family. They are blood, they are family and that's it. She tried to argue with me and tell me I was wrong for teaching my kids that.

More pissed.

I finally said "Look. You can teach YOUR kids whatever you want. If you want to teach J, R and C that their brother A is different because he has a different dad then go ahead. But my kids don't need to think that way. I would appreciate it if I never hear you discuss this subject with them again".

We left not long after that.
by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 21, 2013 at 10:04 AM

We feel the same way in my family, I'm 100% on your side here.

CorpCityGrl
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with you.  A sister is a sister - half or not.  When they get older, if they want to make that distinction and explain it to people then that's fine.

Lilfootmommy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 10:07 AM
I only call my siblings half siblings if someone asks
pghmommyof5
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 10:07 AM

We are the same way in our family. I have 3 brothers and sisters who are technically "half" but we've never once thought of ourselves that way and now that i'm remarried and we've had children together the kids don't think of themselves that way either. Even their father's other children who they barely know are refered to as brother and sister, not half. I'd have been upset too.

boricua3177
by Monica on Nov. 21, 2013 at 10:10 AM

What a bitch!!!  We don't do halves in my family either.  My step sons are my daughter's brothers, plain & simple.

As a matter of fact, my sister's step daughter is my niece & my DD's cousin.  Family is family...

j3st3r
by Jedi on Nov. 21, 2013 at 10:12 AM
I tell my kids there is no such thing as half a sister. XH us supportive and refers to my ydd as odd and ds's sister.
babyspots17
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Are you saying you won't tell your kids that they have a different parent or just you don't consider them step/half siblings?  I am confused.

Arib107
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 10:15 AM
I agree! They will understand more as they grow
ame85
by Chemistry cat on Nov. 21, 2013 at 10:18 AM
DD and DS are half siblings but I have never even said that out loud.

Relationships can be as close as you make them. I have a half sister I never speak to, and an adopted sister I talk to every day.
ProudMommaBear
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Well they ARE half siblings...do you not want hem to know that or something?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured