Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Facebook temptations.......I can see how it happens!!

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 3:23 PM
  • 272 Replies
3 moms liked this

I have known a few people who have reconnected with old high school/college friends or past co-workers and rekindled a friendship that let to something more!  I also have a casual friend who was unhappily married and met a brand new guy playing Mafia wars on FB.  lol  She met up with him one weekend and they really hit it off.  She lived in NJ and he lived in Fl.  He moved close to her after she left her miserable marriage.  She has been with this guy for several years and couldn't be happier!!

I have to admit that I have been on FB for 2 years now, and in the beginning I didn't really think that such a venue could lead to romatic relationships or affairs, but I have since changed my mind having seen it happen with several people!  Personally, I have connected with a super wealthy guy that I knew from my husband's old work (he owned the company) and since I have gotten to know him better after communicating with him for about 6 months, I have started to like him alot as a person.  He is not snooty or uppity at all because of his money and he is really down to earth and a fun guy who is great with kids and likes to have fun!!  And he is divorced from his first wife.  I would love to hang out with him and get to know him better BUT I won't because I am married (albeit not a very happy marriage), but I don't want to disrespect my husband and so I will keep it strictly as an online friendship.  However, I can totally see how relationships can develop via getting to know people through FB.  It can be very tempting!!  I admit that I have a crush on this guy and if my marriage were to ever break up, I would totally try and pursue something with this man if he was interested in me!  For now, I will behave.  lol

Have you or anyone that you know started a relationship or affair through facebook?  Do you think married people have a greater chance of cheating because of it?  Just curious.......  

by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 3:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
partygal19dani
by Danielle on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Bump!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:09 PM
38 moms liked this

The problem is...it's so easy to be whatever you want to be sitting behind a computer screen. The true test is only in person after knowing each other a while. A lot of these people who get caught up and mesmerized by another person don't realize they are only getting mesmerized by fluff. It's out natural instinct to be on our best behavior at first to impress and all that but eople take advantage of the ease of being able to create a facade over the Internet. It's easier than ever.

partygal19dani
by Danielle on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

The problem is...it's so easy to be whatever you want to be sitting behind a computer screen. The true test is only in person after knowing each other a while. A lot of these people who get caught up and mesmerized by another person don't realize they are only getting mesmerized by fluff. It's out natural instinct to be on our best behavior at first to impress and all that. People take advantage of the ease of being able to create a facade over the Internet. It's easier than ever.

You make some good points!!  But FB can definitely make you feel as though you "know" the person, at least what they are portraying themselves to be!  Internet or no internet, people typically want to make a good impression, don't they?!  Although I have seem some people air their dirty laundry on facebook and look like crazy drama queens!!  lol  Guess they don't care how they come across to people who don't know them in real life.  I'm sure this guy has some negative qualities too, but so far I like what I am seeing and would like to hang out with him in real life if I was single.  And you are right.......it takes some time to truly get to know a person regardless of how you meet them!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:39 PM
3 moms liked this
Met my husband on myspace in 2005. Married since 2007. Seven yrs in Feb.
Bubbie0809
by Dreaded hippie on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:40 PM
12 moms liked this

I think if someone is someone who will cheat, any avenue could/would lead to cheating.  I think if that is not part of who you are, then it wouldn't. 

Mature people would handle it just like you did, because there are tempations everywhere in the world. 

I don't think FB is even close to real life, you are only getting snapshots of good behavior from people, like the highlight reel of their lives. Only sharing what you want can make anyone attractive, it the dirty, dailies that show what is real. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Dh and i. 'Met' on facebook and now we have been married for. 4 years and have. 3 kids. 

2monstersmommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:41 PM
1 mom liked this

bump 

I am fb friends with my hs sweetie. 

jamamama00
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:42 PM
4 moms liked this

I do....but to be fair, I know people who have started affairs through all sorts of avenues (church, work...hell, even their kid's Boy Scout meetings!) I definitely don't blame the communication source, but the person her/himself. I don't think that these things happen in happy relationships though. Like in your case...I'm sure if your relationship w/ your husband was good, you wouldn't be spending time online talking to some other guy to begin with.

Maks1mommy
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:43 PM
2 moms liked this

I wouldn't have reconnected with my dh if it weren't for facebook

Snapdragon88
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:43 PM
37 moms liked this
What is wrong with you? Why would you even flirt with the idea when you're married? As far as I'm concerned, all other men besides my husband can take a hike.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)