Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm surrendering my dog to the animal shelter today :(

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 162 Replies
I've had her for about a year and a half now. I don't have the money to take her to the vet right now and this is the second time in two weeks that she has gotten sick. When I got her, we were doing great financially, not so much anymore. I feel like shit. I love her, but I can't get her the medical care she needs so instead of making her suffer due to my financial struggles, I'm going to surrender her which will be hard, but it's what is best for her right now. And because I know people will bash, as much as I love her, I am not going to cause my family to go bankrupt over a dog. We are struggling to pay our bills right now and no vet around here takes payments. Go ahead and bash me. I can guarantee you won't be able to make me feel any worse than I already do.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 22, 2013 at 7:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pandapanda
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 7:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you for being responsible. I'd rather you give her to a shelter than abuse or abandon her somewhere that she couldn't get back home from.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 22, 2013 at 7:33 AM
5 moms liked this
I never understand these posts. You know people will talk shit, you open the door for them to. And yet you feel so bad about the situation, why would you want to read the rude things some women will say? There is no support here so...is it just attention you seek, even if its negative?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 22, 2013 at 7:34 AM
5 moms liked this
Your dog will die after you walk out those doors.

Most vets are willing to do a payment plan.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 22, 2013 at 7:35 AM

Honestly, I just had to get it off my chest. If people want to be rude, then they can. I know how to ignore people. I don't have anyone I can call to talk to, so I come here. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I never understand these posts. You know people will talk shit, you open the door for them to. And yet you feel so bad about the situation, why would you want to read the rude things some women will say? There is no support here so...is it just attention you seek, even if its negative?

alc4evermom
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 7:35 AM

Exactly

Quoting Anonymous:

Jessbecause85
by Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 7:36 AM
3 moms liked this
Instead of surrendering her to a shelter why don't u take the time to find a family that would love her/him??
At a shelter unless it's a no kill she's likely to be put to sleep especially if they are old or sick... Not sure where ur located but our vet you can drop the animal off and they will take/treat and then rehome(yea I know our vet is just great lol) maybe u can find one willing to do that? Or if your set on taking it to a shelter then make sure it's a no kill..
Either way good luck in what is doing what's best right now, it's not easy giving up a pet..
kaylamom2004
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 7:37 AM

You sound more responsible than some people I know who can barely pay their bills (and can't pay some) yet have multiple pets!

Is there no family or friends that could take her until you get on your feet? Sad.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 22, 2013 at 7:37 AM

Not the ones out here. I've tried finding one. And honestly, her being put down might be what is best for her. No matter how much I feed her, she doesn't gain weight and she's been getting sick a lot lately. I've been through this with a couple of my dogs growing up and they both had cancer and died shortly after we found out. 

Quoting Anonymous:

bren_mom
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 7:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Can you look for a no kill shelter or volunteer rescue group in your area?  That way they can get your dog the help she needs, and find her another home.  Some shelters will euthenize after 7-30 days (depending on their space), there are a lot of small grass roots programs that don't euthenize but use a foster system.  Look for one of those in your area.  

littlesippycup
by Ruby Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 7:38 AM
:( I'm sorry. No bashing here.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)