Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WELFARE

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 29 Replies

Why can you not get on welfare if you are a full time student but you can if you are part time?! My friend was trying to get it and they said no because she is a full time student. She takes online courses, works FT and grants with a little bit of financial aid is what is paying for her school yet she still can't make ends meet and all she wanted was FS but they turned her down for daring to be in school FT. Like what the hell?! She will be done with school in summer 2014 if all goes according to plan.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 23, 2013 at 12:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 23, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Because part time students are at least working ? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 23, 2013 at 12:28 AM
That doesn't make sense..when I received PA, they did everything to encourage us to get an education. Maybe she should try to appeal.
15inbetween
by Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 12:35 AM
She probably gets a larger sum of $ from a pell Grant. I'm not saying it is right or that the amount is enough to live off of but my mom works at a community college and the government thinks that $1100.00 beyond what the classes cost will pay for books and help you live for six months. Most of the time the kids can barely buy the books. My daughters books were almost $800.00 last semester. That was only the books she needed Office 365 ($100) and she had to rent a telescope. They there's the fact we bought a laptop and a printer that were both nessisary I don't know how she would even study if she has to work full time.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 23, 2013 at 12:37 AM
Sure it's your "friend ".

Get a job.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 23, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Yeah but, when DH and I were collecting FS for a little while, they didn't take our loans into account at all because we were part time students. They told us that loans don't count as income..

Quoting 15inbetween:

She probably gets a larger sum of $ from a pell Grant. I'm not saying it is right or that the amount is enough to live off of but my mom works at a community college and the government thinks that $1100.00 beyond what the classes cost will pay for books and help you live for six months. Most of the time the kids can barely buy the books. My daughters books were almost $800.00 last semester. That was only the books she needed Office 365 ($100) and she had to rent a telescope. They there's the fact we bought a laptop and a printer that were both nessisary I don't know how she would even study if she has to work full time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 23, 2013 at 12:39 AM

I knew college students on FS 20 years ago.  I guess they changed the rules for too much abuse.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 23, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Suck it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sure it's your "friend ".

Get a job.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 23, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Can you not read?! She is working full time smart shit.

Quoting Anonymous:

Because part time students are at least working ? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 23, 2013 at 12:40 AM
That's odd, when I was a full time student grants, loans and scholarship money were not even considered income. We had $25,000 a year in grants and scholarships but the state put us at zero income, so we got the maximum benefit amount. Your friend might make too much at her job.
risaspieces
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 12:41 AM
I've heard it's because they're choosing to be poor, instead of working they're making the choice to be unemployed. Doesn't make sense to me, but that's the explanation I was given.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured